hello! :)

to be honest i'm not sure how old it (hopefully she!) will be I will find that out tomorrow but I barely have my parents talked into 1 (when I first raised the idea I got the look like I cussed my mom out...i'm sure you guys remember that mom look i'm talking about) but when she saw a partridge silkie picture it was love at first fluff and she's been on board ever since...but maybe not chicken math levels of on board....dad...doesn't quite know yet but uh..i'm taking 100% care of em myself so he probably will be cool with it haha. we already planned on adding a guard goose once there are young ones available someplace
It will be much more difficult to integrate one bantam sized chicken in with the two girls you already have. Integration will be much easier with 2. And it's just a Silkie, not an Emu!
Read up on all the threads here where the loan bird was pecked to the point of scalping or attacked so much it never left the coop. 2 is far better than 1.

What beautiful birds and a beautiful coop! Agree with the others that your silkie will be much happier with a buddy in the long run. You can talk your mom into it by saying one for you and one for me, except you'll be doing all the work ;) Best of both worlds! I know that backyard bird keeping has become a hobby that my whole family enjoys! Best of luck!!

:ya:welcome:ya

:welcome

Is the Silkie a day old chick? If so, I'd get 2, not 1, and brood them in a secure area of the coop using a momma heating pad or brooder plate.

I have to agree, you should definitely get more than one. And like Sourland said, you should use the see but can't touch method.

We tried putting our bunny in with our chickens, and both were terrified of each other. However, I have a friend who keeps her chickens and rabbit together and they do just fine. If you introduce them to each other when they are both younger it will probably work better.

Back
Top Bottom