hello

first off thanks for the warm welcome everyone. ValerieJ yes I have the coop and run built. The coop is 16ft x 8ft and the run is 14ft x 7ft with a metal roof. In side the coop there are 2 sections.The hens and rooster will be in a 8ft x 8ft area and the meat birds will be in a 8ft x 6ft.Then they will both have a 14ft x 7ft run each. Now the question I have is if I don't want to go with a heat lamp what are my options for outside use.Early April here in Iowa can be warm or cold. The plate warmers won't work if it's below 50 degrees.I'm looking for some ideas.
I don't think you have to heat your coop at all, but yes the plate warmers work when it's below 50 degrees. Mine was working last week when it was down to mid twenties at night. If you have plenty of ventilation, that doesn't blow directly on the birds, and you keep a dry coop, you can forgo heat altogether. Many people on BYC insist that is the best way to go. Wish I had started out that way, but afraid to take my heat plate away at this point. Until this year I used the red bulbs, but I had one break last year. That scared me and that was the end of that. Glass was everywhere, but it could have been worse. it could have started a fire.

first off thanks for the warm welcome everyone. ValerieJ yes I have the coop and run built. The coop is 16ft x 8ft and the run is 14ft x 7ft with a metal roof. In side the coop there are 2 sections.The hens and rooster will be in a 8ft x 8ft area and the meat birds will be in a 8ft x 6ft.Then they will both have a 14ft x 7ft run each. Now the question I have is if I don't want to go with a heat lamp what are my options for outside use.Early April here in Iowa can be warm or cold. The plate warmers won't work if it's below 50 degrees.I'm looking for some ideas.
check out this thread - mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update.956958

Old-Clucker-55, when you get your birds in the spring, if they are babies your will only have to have heat until they are fully feathered(about 5 weeks or so). If you get full sized birds then you probably won't need any heat at all. I was worried to death about the babies I just put outside but they have really enjoyed being out of the brooder. The nice thing about they way you are doing this is that you have plenty of time to plan and make sure you have everything they need and you can just sit back and enjoy them when they get here. Good luck and send us some pics when your birds arrive...

Back
Top Bottom