Hello

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Good luck with all your poultry projects, nice looking birds! If you have any questions about anything along the way, be sure to ask. Welcome aboard!
Thank you have learned a lot and still need to learn more and here is a great place. Any good breeder of White Jersey Giants that could ship some eggs to PR? Or I would have to get some when i go to visit my son in Florida
Welcome to BYC. I love big chickens too.
I started breeding brahmas to easter eggers to get a giant easter egger. I love my big old egg layers and the roosters too. But now, I've fallen in love with bantams.
That is a big change of heart. Although my giants will be the daddies of any chicks i get. The giant EE sounds interesting
Welcome to BackYard Chickens. Thank's for Sharing the Beautiful picture's! And a Big Hello from Eastern Nebraska.
Big hello from PR
Glad to meet you, and welcome to BYC. What a nice flock you have going there. I love that you are feeding your grown children as well as you and your wife. I enjoyed your introduction very much. I also loved the photo of the chicken "nanny" dog!
And my inlaws too🤪about the chicken nanny i was worried at first but she’s always been very gentle with them and sometimes would lay next too the brooder and cry at them. When they see each other in the yard they all come over to her like she’s her mama😂

Thanks to all for the great welcoming

I’m from the island of Puerto Rico. I can say I’m pretty new to my own BYC. I got introduced to chickens thanks to neighbors and a special rooster caught my eyes. He was a very big barred mix that would pull out everything I planted as soon as I turned my back.
I started much later when a chick got stranded next to my house and my wife asked me to find the mama, no were to be found so it stayed until it died not too long after.
My wife got really upset so i started to investigate how to get my hands on some good huge layers. Started of with just one roo chick I purchased at the feed store, ran out of females and quickly searched for the largest chicken breed i could find. Jersey Giants. I stuck to the white variety because I figured the black would suffer a bit with the hot humid climate here in the tropics. Ordered 7, 1 male 6 female from cackle hatchery and shortly after i was the proud parent of 6 beautiful White Jersey Giant chicks. One was a DOI. I eventually noticed that i ended up with two roos so exchanged one with my mom for a barred female, she ordered her chick with me. So now i had the rooster I bought here for my wife, 1 giant rooster, 4 giant hens and 1 barred hen. Almost a year in i got to say I’m not really impressed with the size or weight of my giants and i continued to investigate. Hatchery vs Breeder, big difference. Hooked on the Giants i want to breed them and try to get them back up to the standard the blacks originally intended them to have.
I’m incubating all the eggs my kids or in-laws don’t eat. 😉. Free range as much as i can. Added some Ameraucanas and Easter eggers hatched 7, 5 are pure amd the other two are barred mix with giant and got 18 color eggs in the incubator along with another 13 of mine. Colored eggs are mostly for the family. More giants for the incubator 😉. Married 4 grown kids that still receive their egg dose from home due to the exorbitant prices. I also have a small fish pond and my chick nanny dog.
Main reason I subscribed to BYC is because most of my investigation ended me on this site and i would like to find the best breeder quality White Jersey Giant i can find
I love the pictures, especially of your dog loving on the chicks.

Hey, Dominic, if you want, you can get eggs of many breeds shipped to you from the large hatcheries. They have websites where you can go and put in your order, look around and shop. I have had very good experiences with Meyer Hatcheries in Ohio.

I also got eggs shipped to me from Arizona once and was very impressed at how carefully the eggs were packaged to protect them in shipping. I had a very good hatch, too, so they came through the shipping in good shape. Let us know what you decide to do.

Hey, Dominic, if you want, you can get eggs of many breeds shipped to you from the large hatcheries. They have websites where you can go and put in your order, look around and shop. I have had very good experiences with Meyer Hatcheries in Ohio.

I also got eggs shipped to me from Arizona once and was very impressed at how carefully the eggs were packaged to protect them in shipping. I had a very good hatch, too, so they came through the shipping in good shape. Let us know what you decide to do.
I purchased my white jersey giants from cackle hatchery a year ago, ordered them as day old chicks. They aren’t as big or heavy as I expected. So now I would like to find a big rooster to start breeding them. But shipping to PR is kind of limited. So i was opting for eggs from a good breeder to improve the blood
line. Thanks for the tip though

Back
Top Bottom