hello

michellepagan

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
McGregor, MN
I just joined the forum..have been lurking for over a year. Found some really fantastic ideas for a new coop. We are shooting for 90% recycled matariel. We have quite a bit of lumber still looking for other things. Probably won't actually get it built until later this summer. Looking at 30ft x 10 ft because my hubby thought 15x5 wasnt going to be good enough.

Hopefully I will be able to take pictures and get them posted by late summer.

Happy chickening
Michelle

hello and
welcome-byc.gif
... sounds like an interesting idea for a coop very "GREEN". I can't wait to see pics. now I am thinking about how I could use recycled products for mine..... thanks for the idea
big_smile.png

Hi and :welcome

Good luck with your coop! I love it that you're using recycled materials. :thumbsup

Enjoy the site :D

Yup, I am hoping to divide it into 3 pens. Pen one will be my currently laying flock, pen 2 will be the "replacements", and pen 3 will be my meat birds. I am going to have it set in such a way that pens 1& 2can be combined in the winter. I live in Northern MN and its gets a bit chilly the end of Dec through about mid-March. I told my husband the coop needed to be 15x5 and that it would be plenty big enough....but of course he's a "guy" and bigger is better.

Yup, I am hoping to divide it into 3 pens. Pen one will be my currently laying flock, pen 2 will be the "replacements", and pen 3 will be my meat birds. I am going to have it set in such a way that pens 1& 2can be combined in the winter. I live in Northern MN and its gets a bit chilly the end of Dec through about mid-March. I told my husband the coop needed to be 15x5 and that it would be plenty big enough....but of course he's a "guy" and bigger is better.
I think bigger is better when it comes to coops...... gives me a reason get more chickens lol. we can't have just a few birds in such a huge coop especially in the winter time. it will get too cold and the chickens need the body heat to stay warm ... and any other reason I can think of to justify my ever expanding flock hehe.

Back
Top Bottom