Help! “Narcoleptic” 8-Week Chick

SFAshM

In the Brooder
May 4, 2020
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
White Crested Black Polish, 9 weeks (today), same weight as 9 week Olive Egger
2) What is the behavior, exactly.
For lack of a better term, she seems narcoleptic. She forages and frolics along with our other girls (two aged 13 weeks, one 9 weeks and two 8 weeks), eats and drinks fine. However, every 2-3 minutes (sometimes more frequently), she stops, drops her head and falls asleep. A few times today, she lied down and fell asleep face down in the grass. She also did the same falling asleep behavior when I picked her up and held her. She has also been jerking her back and to the side from time to time, but not as often as the falling asleep suddenly.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
The last 5-6 days
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
None
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
No idea! It came out of nowhere. My first thought was a possible head injury, based on what I have read about Polish breeds being more susceptible due to their skull shape.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
Purina Start & Grow Medicated and water. Treats include meal worms, watermelon, warmed up frozen corn and tomatoes.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
Totally normal
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
In researching on here, I read that her symptoms could be the beginning stages of coccidiosis, so I started the entire flock on Corid (liquid form in their water yesterday (ensuring she got some uninterrupted drinks in today). I also cleaned out and replaced all the coop and run bedding today.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
If it seems serious enough, I would be open to visiting a vet!
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
Video from today: Click here
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use
Mallard Creek Premium Poultry Bedding in the coop and run, along with some straw in the run for them to scratch in. There is also some black mulch in the old garden beds where we built the run, plus a dust bath with sand and DE.

Thanks
in advance for any help and suggestions!

Last edited:
Ok, I have no clue what it is. hopefully someone comes online who has seen this before.
for me it can be everything from strange normal behavior to something serious, sorry Ican’t be of anymore help.

But if I would see this by a human, I would get that human an EEG Just to be sure. And my question would be: absense seizure? partial atonic seizure? (are those even possible in chicken?) And after maybe narcoleptic. Is she lifting her head because of your voice or does the same repeating, slow downwards movement when you are not talking?

Your chicken does not fall completely to the ground and goes on with what she was doing after the episode passes...

Ok, I have no clue what it is. hopefully someone comes online who has seen this before.
for me it can be everything from strange normal behavior to something serious, sorry Ican’t be of anymore help.

But if I would see this by a human, I would get that human an EEG Just to be sure. And my question would be: absense seizure? partial atonic seizure? (are those even possible in chicken?) And after maybe narcoleptic. Is she lifting her head because of your voice or does the same repeating, slow downwards movement when you are not talking?

Your chicken does not fall completely to the ground and goes on with what she was doing after the episode passes...
She will lift her head without me talking, either on her own (she just kind of comes to all of the sudden) or if she hears the others chirping. It’s so bizarre and I’m really hoping she’s okay! I really appreciate you replying!!

She will lift her head without me talking, either on her own (she just kind of comes to all of the sudden) or if she hears the others chirping. It’s so bizarre and I’m really hoping she’s okay! I really appreciate you replying!!
When she lifts her head when she hears others chirping, that makes epilepsy not impossible but far less likely for me.. I hope you get your answer soon

I have no idea what's causing that. Could be neurological. You could try giving her 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily for a week to see if that makes a difference.

I agree with you, my thoughts lean toward her being a crested bird - it could be a genetic or developmental issue that can't be corrected-you just never know.

Back
Top Bottom