Help 16 week old chick picked to near death

Yeah, BD's got some good ideas too. I always try to get a flock block for them when I'm going to be out of town for a few days and they won't be allowed to roam outside their secure area. Chickens get bored easily so it's good to keep them occupied whenever possible. I don't know if you can free range them. It's always a little risky when they're teens because of hawks, but free ranging together seems to help them bond better. Plus everyone has lots of space and they're not in each other's face.

In the meantime, don't let the picked on one be left there unattended. Make sure you're in ear shot in case there's any trouble. Reintroducing during the day times might go better, taking her in at night. At least they won't seem like strangers. Don't rush it though.

We've had some problems with "Meanies" so we built a 4'x4'x4' pen (we call it "Meanie Pen"), it's attached to the regular run. Every once in awhile we have to separate a bad attitude hen (that's all we have are hens). After a few days of solitary they get along pretty good! So sorry about your hen.

I think i have narrowed it down to the SLW or the BO either of them seem to have some bad attitudes towards the other three. they stayed in the coop all day and every once in awhile them two would come in chase them back to other side of the coop where the food and water is not. so i think they are the culprits the roo seemed to make his stance that he runs the show and has left them alone for the most part. My RIR that was the bottom of the pack she is called sally she has warmed up to them and hung out with them for a long time today. Cally is doing better she really like the cottage cheese and yogurt mixture we gave her and she was up pacing back and forth tonight. That's a good sign. Thank you all for the great ideas I'm currently looking at getting the peepers. and i hope that will help.

Actually, I should have recommended the Rooster Booster also. This poster said Rooster Booster worked when the Bluekot didn't.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=573704

I had a hen getting picked on the comb and head (I couldn't exactly spray on Bluekot) and I can say it helped in combination with the rest of my other suggestions. They don't like the taste. It's kind of messy and a pain but it'll stop any immediate pecking. The others get instantly turned off.

You have to reapply it every day or so until it breaks the cycle.

Back
Top Bottom