Help! 1year old hen was given to me in bad shape! Need advice to help her!

Skyleen13

Songster
Apr 24, 2020
I was given 3 hens yesterday that had come from a lady who had to many chickens for her coop & run. I got an olive egger, black australorp, & a salmon faverolle. All are supposed to be just over a year old. The olive egger is in great shape but the other 2 aren’t. Australorp is missing all her feathers at base of her tail. All around her tail. Her entire butt is bare. Feathers on her neck are thinning as well. The salmon faverolle is the worst! Almost no feathers on head, neck, back, butt, & chest. Only feathers on wings, legs, & tip of tail. Very sad shape. She also appears to have a sun burn on her back, neck, & head. Lady claimed that the hens where going through a really bad molt & some of her other hens she kept were being bullies to the 3 she gave me but the amount of feather loss seems way to extreme to be just that!
I’ve treated them both with an antiseptic spray & some no peck cream to keep the australorp from going after the faverolle. I’ve also dusted all three as a precaution. I’ve also applied aloe Vera to her sunburns & put a chicken saddle on her back to help protect her. Other then give her lots of good feed with plenty of extra protein is there anything else I can do to help her? Is this just what the lady claimed is a bad molt or worse? Finally, do you think her feathers will grow back? I feel so bad for her.

I was given 3 hens yesterday that had come from a lady who had to many chickens for her coop & run. I got an olive egger, black australorp, & a salmon faverolle. All are supposed to be just over a year old. The olive egger is in great shape but the other 2 aren’t. Australorp is missing all her feathers at base of her tail. All around her tail. Her entire butt is bare. Feathers on her neck are thinning as well. The salmon faverolle is the worst! Almost no feathers on head, neck, back, butt, & chest. Only feathers on wings, legs, & tip of tail. Very sad shape. She also appears to have a sun burn on her back, neck, & head. Lady claimed that the hens where going through a really bad molt & some of her other hens she kept were being bullies to the 3 she gave me but the amount of feather loss seems way to extreme to be just that!
I’ve treated them both with an antiseptic spray & some no peck cream to keep the australorp from going after the faverolle. I’ve also dusted all three as a precaution. I’ve also applied aloe Vera to her sunburns & put a chicken saddle on her back to help protect her. Other then give her lots of good feed with plenty of extra protein is there anything else I can do to help her? Is this just what the lady claimed is a bad molt or worse? Finally, do you think her feathers will grow back? I feel so bad for her.

Attachments

• 67B9D813-05CA-4AE1-BB9B-AD1C06FD6535.jpeg
    67B9D813-05CA-4AE1-BB9B-AD1C06FD6535.jpeg
    491.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 813D5E9F-B986-4448-A8C2-CAC3E3827A35.jpeg
    813D5E9F-B986-4448-A8C2-CAC3E3827A35.jpeg
    635.7 KB · Views: 10
  • FC800E1C-2255-4EA6-9797-731AD6CB7910.jpeg
    FC800E1C-2255-4EA6-9797-731AD6CB7910.jpeg
    561.3 KB · Views: 10
  • AF0B183E-24A2-49D4-AD63-C639B01F57CD.jpeg
    AF0B183E-24A2-49D4-AD63-C639B01F57CD.jpeg
    592.9 KB · Views: 10
You are a beautiful person for taking in those 3. I'm no pro, but I did have a hen that was pretty badly harassed by another hen. She too was bald on the neck. Dorothy , the aggressor has since been re-homed. Daisy has made a full feathered recovery Some do tend to have very hard molts and need extra protein and calcium. I've given scrambled eggs , Greek yogurt ,and fruit smoothies to mine as well. Sounds like the combination of stress and a hard molt.
Sounds like some TLC , great food, and a safe haven are what those gals needed.

You are a beautiful person for taking in those 3. I'm no pro, but I did have a hen that was pretty badly harassed by another hen. She too was bald on the neck. Dorothy , the aggressor has since been re-homed. Daisy has made a full feathered recovery Some do tend to have very hard molts and need extra protein and calcium. I've given scrambled eggs , Greek yogurt ,and fruit smoothies to mine as well. Sounds like the combination of stress and a hard molt.
Sounds like some TLC , great food, and a safe haven are what those gals needed.
I sure hope so. The australorp is being a bit of a bully to the salmon faverolle in their medical coop & run. Mounting her even though their both hens! Is she doesn’t chill out I may need to separate her from every one! I don’t want to do that since she’s beat up to but I can’t have her jeopardize the salmon faverolles healing as well as her own. I’m just frustrated by it all.

I sure hope so. The australorp is being a bit of a bully to the salmon faverolle in their medical coop & run. Mounting her even though their both hens! Is she doesn’t chill out I may need to separate her from every one! I don’t want to do that since she’s beat up to but I can’t have her jeopardize the salmon faverolles healing as well as her own. I’m just frustrated by it all.
aw, ive always wanted faverolles, i sure hope her feathers grow back, they should!

Back
Top Bottom