HELP! 2wk old chick dirty vent???

sroy01

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 8, 2012
Alaska
Hello,
I just got 2 wk old Buff Orpingtons. I have had the 1 day and they seem to be eating and drinking fine. I noticed today (day2) one of the chicks has poop all over its backside (vent area) I first thought since I seen them pecking at each other that maybe she was pecked. I tried to wipe her with a damp cloth and noticed it wouldn't really come off. I had a friend come over who said it just looked like poop. She does look a little swollen to me, though. I'm thinking its most likely just poop sticking and noticed her walking around with it stuck hanging out. So wondering what you all think may be going on? Also I have the 3 buff orpingtons and 3 ri reds in a brooder together and noticed I only see this on only 2 of the orpingtons. Any suggestions, advice, or what to do? Thanks.

you need to remove any fecal matter from her hind end and ensure that she is clean and able to eliminate. They can get a big mess of poop stuck to their butts that can actually plug up the rectum and stop them from eliminating. Use very warm ( NOT HOTT ) water ..run her butt under the faucet and make sure her vent is free of obstruction. You can gently blow dry her being very careful not to burn her. Try to work quickly but gently since this will all be stressful for her. Do the same with any others that have similiar signs of pasty butt.

I managed to clean her bumm really well and noticed it looks like its swollen a little (kinda like a hemmorroid). I just got her (well all of them) 2 days ago and was told they were 2wks old. I've seen her drink water but really havent noticed her eating as much as the other ones. But, they are down in my basement so my 3yr old and 5 yr old daughters dont harass them so I'm not watching them all day long, even though I do go down often and check on them. I'm going to keep making sure she is clean and watch her. She feel asleep on my hand while sitting under the hair dryer while I was trying to dry her backside a little after cleaning it, which was cute. Hopefully the pasty butt goes away if I stay ahead of it and can prevent it from plugging up. This is my first time with chicks and I'm a little bit of a nerves nelly over her. Thanks again.

I would watch her closely to make sure she is active and eating as much as the others. She should be having longer periods of alertness by 2 wks of age (wake easily, not fall asleep when there is a lot of stimuli). Also keep an eye on her stools. ~ every 8-10 stools is normally loose and smelly. If all of her stools are loose, I think you may have an sick chick on your hands

I noticed this afternoon that she pops up as soon as I walk toward the brooder to look at me and I did see her eating and drinking. I see her actually drinking more than eating. She is such a sweet chick, I would hate for her to be sick. She seems to have a lot more energy than yesterday and she is quick when I reach in there. I'm hoping its just the pasty butt being the issue, she is one of my favorites out of the 6. thanks I'm definatly going to try to watch her stools as well.

Back
Top Bottom