maddiexo

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
ive had silkies for about two years now and my gen has been sitting on eggs and keeps scratching her cheeks enough to where they bleed. The skin looks very dry and itchy but it's just her face on both sides. And she's been losing weight and sitting on eggs. I pull her down at least three times a day to make her eat since she won't get up. I'll do whatever it takes to help herstart feeling better but I don'tknow where to begin.

ive had silkies for about two years now and my gen has been sitting on eggs and keeps scratching her cheeks enough to where they bleed. The skin looks very dry and itchy but it's just her face on both sides. And she's been losing weight and sitting on eggs. I pull her down at least three times a day to make her eat since she won't get up. I'll do whatever it takes to help herstart feeling better but I don'tknow where to begin.

Hi @maddiexo :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of the cheeks and your Silkie?
How much longer before your eggs hatch?
What are you feeding her?

Check her over well for any signs of lice or mites. Broodies are susceptible to getting an infestation since they are less mobile and usually don't dust bathe.

Dry itchy skin on the face could be from a fungal infection like Favus. Since she has scratched it until it has bled, gently cleanse the area with saline or soap/water. Apply some Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment to any scratches. For the dry areas you can apply a little coconut oil, A+D ointment or similar to see if that give her some relief.

If you do find any crawling critters, treat her with a permethrin based poultry spray or dust. Clean out the nesting materials or where you have her housed and treat that as well. Repeat treatment in 7-10days.

Since she is losing weight, offer her some poultry vitamins in her water and extra protein like egg, tuna, beef liver, etc. to boost protein. Offer her some chick starter and encourage her to drink well.

Keep us posted.

Get some sav a chick at your local feed store that will really help.
I feed and water my hens on the nest they are sittin on. just usin a chick water and feeder they are small enough

She's on day 14 but she only itches her face. I've been feeling her a mix of regular chicken crumbles with a high calorie and vitamin one. She eats but I have to move her to it and if I put the food bye her she won't eat it. But my rooster who is with her doesn't have any mites or itching and he's healthy and her poop looks normal just bigger than usual

Back
Top Bottom