HELP 3 day old chick won’t eat or drink!!

Pics
It might just be a failure to thrive chick. Don't be too upset if it doesn't make it.
You can try putting a drop of molasses on your finger, holding it right on the tip of his bill, and let him drink it off. That will give him a good little boost.
You can also put a mirror in there so that it thinks it has company. Get a dropper and hold on to the chickie and just put the dropper on the end of the beak so that it forms a droplet on the end and the chickie should take a drop at a time. Do you have probiotics and electrolytes in its water? If it won't eat you can try some hard boiled egg yolk. You can also get some vitamin drops to give it a boost. But fluids are very important. I agree with MGG with the molasses, or you can try just some simple sugar as well if the molasses doesn't work.

I had that happen to one of the chicks I hatched this spring, but it also looked like it was pooping blood. So, I treated it with Corid and syring fed it both Corid solution along with food and water. Within 8 hours it was doing so much better and started to eat and drink on its own. It was next to the other chicks so they could hear each other. I kept the chick separate and treated it for another couple of days. Prayers for your chick and that it makes it!!

I'm new to this but our last shipment of chicks was a disaster. 3 passed away in route and 2 of the 3 that survived were very weak and chilled. MPC recommended finely chopped boiled egg because they weren't eating. Worked like a charm. All three are thriving and eating starter/grower now.

Good luck, and don’t give up hope. But don’t separate your baby from all of the other chicks. Put at least one trusted baby in with her. When I had a chick who wouldn’t eat or drink, I had her inside for 3 days, literally putting a mixture of Gatorade and her food into her beak, and she finally would swallow it. But when I had another chick who got henpecked, I put the two together and that sickly chick started walking, eating and drinking!!!! No baby wants to be alone. Keep up with the hope. My two chicks are best friends who keep each other safe in our flock of 10. They’re 8 weeks old and thriving! Cheers!

When they are that young I sprinkle the food on the floor around them to encourage the pecking and eating activity. Your chick kinda sounds like my little blind roo when he was little he could only find the food by the sounds of his feeding sisters, same with water it took alot of attention at first but once he figured out where everything was he did ok obviously smaller and weaker for alot longer. But he's a big strong boy now. and a real cuddle bug. let us know we are now attached and waiting with baited breath to see how this little one does

Back
Top Bottom