RNjoy17

Chirping
May 2, 2021
Hi all, I currently have 5 week old SLW pullets and a few 4 week old Easter Eggers I got from TSC. 4 days ago now, I had two rapidly die around the same time as each other but all others (12 were left) were fine. No bloody stool, but did notice they were all maybe a little more lethargic. Assumed the worse so I treated with Corid, electrolytes and small amount of vitamin/mineral supplement in their food. They are eating a non-medicated, organic crumble. I was also giving them small punches of chick grit in their food, but stopped that when the others died. Up till today, the 12 we’re doing great and almost even better.
Today I walked past the room I keep the brooder in and noticed most of them laying down, which is strange as there usually up and chatty if I’m walking by. I had checked on them probably 20 minutes prior and they were fine. I panicked, took them away from the heat lamp and gave them fresh water. Within a few minutes one of the ones lying down started to have convulsion and died. In a span of 20ish minutes I had 4 more die. I don’t know what to do. Are they dying of heat stroke? They are in a very large 189L tote, bedding changed daily, fresh food/water 2-3 times daily. I’ve slowly been weaning them from the heat lamp and currently only 1/4 of the tote had the heat lamp directly pointing at it. They never were huddled away from it, or huddled directly underneath it so I thought we were doing ok. Any ideas as to what this could be? I’ve noticed some stools were watery, but all mostly formed. One pullet had a straight liquid stool this morning, which I had related to stress as she had flown out of the brooder. No blood noted, all normal in color. I will attempt to attach photos/videos.

The second photo is the one that will die next I am guessing. But this is what they almost all look like before dying, they spread out and have their head laid down and then stop breathing and start convulsing. The others are currently just lying still except for one that is chirping and occasionally moving. I don’t know what I did wrong but I am losing it 😭

Attachments

• E1FAC629-B4EB-428D-B1C5-ADB802D235F3.jpeg
    E1FAC629-B4EB-428D-B1C5-ADB802D235F3.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 1F81E931-0037-41D1-8179-0BC614274922.jpeg
    1F81E931-0037-41D1-8179-0BC614274922.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 26
In case I didn’t mention above, this is day 4 of 5 of treating with Corid.

I currently have two now standing, and lost another. I currently have 5 left including the one that is laying down with its wings spread out and head down.

I just don’t know what to do anymore, my babies mean so much to me. I do currently have them away from a heat source, it’s been about 45 minutes to an hour and their no signs of being cold at this time. But they also arnt acting “normal” either....

Is the food moldy or anything? Have you been around any sick flocks?
No, food is clean and fresh from the grain bag. They haven’t been around any new birds recently. I bought the SLW’s a little over 2 weeks ago, and then the EE’s a few days after them. Since then they’ve been alone

Back
Top Bottom