That’s horrible news 😭
Do these deaths sounds like Coccidiosis though? The 2 that initially died have been 4 days ago, and the others have showed no symptoms except some lethargy and all suddenly became violently ill and are dying left and right. No “later” signs, like bloody stool, etc
yes it does sound like Coccidiosis but I thought I was crazy, until i found out about the vitamins.

thank you both for your replies. I am so horrified by this news....I thought i was helping them this whole time. I was just so shocked because this morning they were completely fine and normal, and then it took a sharp turn this afternoon and now I am down to 4 and they all don’t look like their going to make it, or atleast they are all laying down and barely responding to my touches 😞

I’ve never had such issues with chicks, 10+ years ago before moving to Maine I hatched & bred chickens, guinea, and quail. Never had issues with them. I bought these babies with the intention of just having a small backyard flock, and this time around I can’t even do that 🤕

thank you both for your replies. I am so horrified by this news....I thought i was helping them this whole time. I was just so shocked because this morning they were completely fine and normal, and then it took a sharp turn this afternoon and now I am down to 4 and they all don’t look like their going to make it, or atleast they are all laying down and barely responding to my touches 😞

I’ve never had such issues with chicks, 10+ years ago before moving to Maine I hatched & bred chickens, guinea, and quail. Never had issues with them. I bought these babies with the intention of just having a small backyard flock, and this time around I can’t even do that 🤕
It sucks. I'm so sorry. I've never lost a chicken so I don't understand your pain but we are here for support.

Hi all, I currently have 5 week old SLW pullets and a few 4 week old Easter Eggers I got from TSC. 4 days ago now, I had two rapidly die around the same time as each other but all others (12 were left) were fine. No bloody stool, but did notice they were all maybe a little more lethargic. Assumed the worse so I treated with Corid, electrolytes and small amount of vitamin/mineral supplement in their food. They are eating a non-medicated, organic crumble. I was also giving them small punches of chick grit in their food, but stopped that when the others died. Up till today, the 12 we’re doing great and almost even better.
Today I walked past the room I keep the brooder in and noticed most of them laying down, which is strange as there usually up and chatty if I’m walking by. I had checked on them probably 20 minutes prior and they were fine. I panicked, took them away from the heat lamp and gave them fresh water. Within a few minutes one of the ones lying down started to have convulsion and died. In a span of 20ish minutes I had 4 more die. I don’t know what to do. Are they dying of heat stroke? They are in a very large 189L tote, bedding changed daily, fresh food/water 2-3 times daily. I’ve slowly been weaning them from the heat lamp and currently only 1/4 of the tote had the heat lamp directly pointing at it. They never were huddled away from it, or huddled directly underneath it so I thought we were doing ok. Any ideas as to what this could be? I’ve noticed some stools were watery, but all mostly formed. One pullet had a straight liquid stool this morning, which I had related to stress as she had flown out of the brooder. No blood noted, all normal in color. I will attempt to attach photos/videos.
Two things pop out from this post...
One is you cannot give vitamins while you're using Corid.
Two is I don't see mention of a temperature.

What is the temperature underneath the heat lamp?

Also when you mention that you gave them fresh water if you gave them cold water it is possible you sent them into a shock.

Last edited:
That’s horrible news 😭
Do these deaths sounds like Coccidiosis though? The 2 that initially died have been 4 days ago, and the others have showed no symptoms except some lethargy and all suddenly became violently ill and are dying left and right. No “later” signs, like bloody stool, etc
It sounds more like the brooder is toooo hot to me.
If you don't have any other chickens around and these chickens have never been outside then it's highly unlikely that you're dealing with coccidiosis.

The way Corid works is by starving the cocidia of thiamine. When you give the vitamins, you allow the Coccidia to still get their Thiamine. You are supposed to just give the Corid, then after you are done with Corid, you can do vitamins and electrolytes. I think that's what did it.

Did you lose them all? I feel so bad for you.... I'm so sorry. :(

One more question...
Did you buy all of them at the same time from the same place?
Or did you buy the 5-week-olds from one place and the Easter Eggers from TSC?

If so where did you buy the 5-week-old birds from?

Two things pop out from this post...
One is you cannot give vitamins while you're using Corid.
Two is I don't see mention of a temperature.

What is the temperature underneath the heat lamp?

Also when you mention that you gave them fresh water if you gave them cold water it is possible you sent them into a shock.

I read about that somewhere because I give my ducklings warm water. Is it called "staggers"? I wonder if it could be that simple... OMG

One more question...
Did you buy all of them at the same time from the same place?
Or did you buy the 5-week-olds from one place and the Easter Eggers from TSC?

If so where did you buy the 5-week-old birds from?
They all came from TSC. I just found another thread where someone else got a mix of Wyandotte’s and EE’s just like I did and they said they died in similar ways. It’s just so strange!

Back
Top Bottom