Help! 6 day old chick all of a sudden sick

Pics

Harmoni

Songster
Jan 20, 2021
Central Florida
This chick was fine yesterday. I'm wondering if it ate some of the stupid coffee grounds bedding that I didn't know was dangerous šŸ˜­
Is there anything I can do for it? I have nutridrench and poultry cell.
IMG_20220212_110459928.jpg

Get some activated charcoal, empty the capsule and mix it with a teaspoon of coconut oil. Divide that into tiny bits, chill until solid and feed the bits into the chick over the course of an hour.

The charcoal will absorb the toxins and the oil will flush them out of its system. But hurry up with this as the toxins will kill the chick eventually.

This is a major milestone. She survived the night, number one. Now she appears to be weak, but who wouldn't be after what she's been through?

The main task now is to give her nourishment to give her strength. Applesauce and raw egg yolk plus a little sugar and Nutri-drench, slightly heated, should produce improvement you can see within an hour.

Try dipping her beak in the food as @Iluveggers mentioned.

I've done a bit of research on coffee grounds bedding today. Most commercial coffee bedding is the chaff of the coffee beans, but many people have posted stuff on the internet about how they get dregs from Starbucks or save their own coffee grounds, dry it out and use it in their coops as bedding, and they swear no chickens ever got sick.

It's a given fact that coffee, mostly the caffeine in it, is toxic to chickens. All chickens. However, chickens encounter many plants and substances that are toxic and most do not become sick. Why would that be? The answer is that most chickens will not eat toxic substances, mostly because they taste bad. But this doesn't make coffee safe because there's always one chicken or chick somewhere that eats it regardless and then gets sick.

Chicks especially love to eat things they find on the ground. If their bedding is small particles, they are more likely to eat it. The chick in this thread ate its commercially produced coffee bedding. This chick had all the symptoms of constipation. Usually oil will break up the impaction, and the chick recovers in just a few hours. The chick in this thread did not respond to the oil and remained impacted, and it never recovered. But it's not clear that it suffered toxicity from the coffee. It doesn't matter. It did eat the bedding and it did constipate the chick. Therefore, I conclude that coffee bedding has particles much too small to be safely used in a chick brooder as would any type of bedding with particles too small that a chick mistakes them for food.

It's a miracle she alive. You said she briefly stood up last night. If she did that, she must not have neurological damage to her nerves.

She needs nourishment. See if she will eat something. Applesauce with a little egg yolk mixed in. Do you have poultry Nutri-drench on hand? It's made for such a chick. Warm whatever you give her, including any water. And the water should have sugar in it.

I was worried they would tear them up. One of the new chicks I got is about 2 weeks old.
Mine were fine with the pads. I actually left one under the shavings in case they spilled water and changed it every few days. I also think itā€™s important to have things for the chicks to do. I had a few small branches to perch on, a mirror to look in, and some red dots on the wall to peck at. The busier they are with chick things the less they will be curious about non-chick things. Mine looooved roosting on the branches I put in there.

A little baking soda won't hurt her, but she probably has had all she needs. Keep pushing the food now. Nutri-drench, the honey, water, egg. Include egg white, as well. It's got carbs in it that can provide energy. If you can, warm her periodically in a warm towel. Or use a heating pad under some towels where she's resting in between feedings. Direct contact heat is the best kind for baby chicks, even those with no health issue as this one has.

I don't know if this is good or bad advice for your chick's condition, but when one of mine was severely constipated, someone told me to fill a bowl with an epsom salt bath just deep enough to reach the chick's stomach/butt and soak for a couple minutes. Then use hairdryer to keep chick from getting cold. The epsom salts make the chick expel waste. Within a minute of taking her out of the bath she made a GIANT poo on my leg.
Not sure if your chick can handle getting wet though...

Back
Top Bottom