Help 6 week old chick

HumbleLifeHomestead

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2020
Went out to the brooder this morning and one of my 6 week old copper marans was laying on its side, almost lifeless. There are 14 different chicks in there ranging from 3-6 weeks old. All were just fine last night when I checked on them. The others seem just fine this morning as well. I bright the sick one inside, put it in a bin with bedding, water and food, and I also gave the chick (orally) some poultry nutri-drench in an attempt to save it. Please let me know if anyone has an idea or suggestions. TIA

It could be a weak chick, but at this age I would look for possible coccidiosis. What do it’s poops look like? Symptoms include runny poops, lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched posture, and not eating. Try getting the chick to drink water. Consider getting Corid (amprollium) from the feed store to treat your chicks in the water.

Went out to the brooder this morning and one of my 6 week old copper marans was laying on its side, almost lifeless. There are 14 different chicks in there ranging from 3-6 weeks old. All were just fine last night when I checked on them. The others seem just fine this morning as well. I bright the sick one inside, put it in a bin with bedding, water and food, and I also gave the chick (orally) some poultry nutri-drench in an attempt to save it. Please let me know if anyone has an idea or suggestions. TIA
Please post some photos of the chick and her poop.

How large is the brooder and how warm is it?
What do you feed?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Coccidiosis may be the problem. Do you have any Corid on hand?

Please post some photos of the chick and her poop.

How large is the brooder and how warm is it?
What do you feed?
Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
Coccidiosis may be the problem. Do you have any Corid on hand?

the chick didn’t make it. I have not treated for marek’s, the brooder is a 4x4 made from OSB, has a heat and the brooder is indoors. They are on bluebonnet chick starter. I do have corid on hand and will put it in the water now. Poop looks normal. I mean there were no signs of illness last night. They were all running around before they went down the night. I do vaccinate at 8 weeks for fowl pox. Should I also vaccinate for Marek’s? I am so sad.

It could be a weak chick, but at this age I would look for possible coccidiosis. What do it’s poops look like? Symptoms include runny poops, lethargy, standing puffed up or hunched posture, and not eating. Try getting the chick to drink water. Consider getting Corid (amprollium) from the feed store to treat your chicks in the water.

none of the birds have any of those symptoms. Would it hurt if I put some of the corid powder in their water anyway? I have had chickens for 3 years now and this is my first experience sicknesses. One of our older hens was sick back in October. Vet said it was fowl pox. She got antibiotics and when they were clear to be vaccinated all the birds got it. None in the brooder received it, but only I go in there with clean clothes and shoes so as not to bring any diseases with me.

It would not hurt. I would absolutely treat with Corid as a precaution, just make sure it’s their only source of drinking water. Posting pics of your setup may be helpful... a three week gap can be a big one where size is concerned, wondering if it was a younger one who got trampled?

At six weeks old it’s unlikely to be Marek’s. It’s too late to vaccinate for it. You’ll drive yourself crazy wondering about what happened when it could literally been anything. Failure to thrive, chick got separated too long from mom, stomped in, ate something it shouldn’t, you just don’t know. If the other chicks seem healthy I wouldn’t worry to much. Just observe them. I’m sorry for your loss though. It’s hard losing a chicken no matter the age.

It would not hurt. I would absolutely treat with Corid as a precaution, just make sure it’s their only source of drinking water. Posting pics of your setup may be helpful... a three week gap can be a big one where size is concerned, wondering if it was a younger one who got trampled?
I will go out and get some pictures. She was one of the older ones and didn’t look to be stepped on. One of my polish’s in a completely different area also just did the same. Looked lethargic and just died! Idk what is going on! The polish was 8 weeks old and in a completely different part of our homestead. She was vaccinated for fowl pox. I am freaking out a little now

the chick didn’t make it. I have not treated for marek’s, the brooder is a 4x4 made from OSB, has a heat and the brooder is indoors. They are on bluebonnet chick starter. I do have corid on hand and will put it in the water now. Poop looks normal. I mean there were no signs of illness last night. They were all running around before they went down the night. I do vaccinate at 8 weeks for fowl pox. Should I also vaccinate for Marek’s? I am so sad.
I will go out and get some pictures. She was one of the older ones and didn’t look to be stepped on. One of my polish’s in a completely different area also just did the same. Looked lethargic and just died! Idk what is going on! The polish was 8 weeks old and in a completely different part of our homestead. She was vaccinated for fowl pox. I am freaking out a little now
I'm sorry she didn't make it and now you have another one.
Photos would be good - housing, poop, birds, etc.

I would investigate feed to make sure none has gotten moldy.

Were both birds Polish or crested breeds?

With having mixed ages in a brooder, they may be lacking in space, possible overheating, etc.

Symptoms of Marek's disease can show up in birds as young as 3 weeks of age.
Generally I would look at other conditions and causes first, like Coccidiosis, moldy feeds, crested birds that suffered head trauma, etc.

BB9C2563-679C-49F0-A701-1A5623B8A089.jpeg

I'm sorry she didn't make it and now you have another one.
Photos would be good - housing, poop, birds, etc.

I would investigate feed to make sure none has gotten moldy.

Were both birds Polish or crested breeds?

With having mixed ages in a brooder, they may be lacking in space, possible overheating, etc.

Symptoms of Marek's disease can show up in birds as young as 3 weeks of age.
Generally I would look at other conditions and causes first, like Coccidiosis, moldy feeds, crested birds that suffered head trauma, etc.
The birds were in two different areas. I have a photo below of the indoor brooder. Feed and water is changed daily to prevent things like that. I honestly think I will have to switch to medicated chick feed. These are my babies. I spend time with them daily 😢. The polish was not created. I do have three crested polish’s and one NN crested polish mix. The other chick that passed was a copper maran (in the brooder). The brooder is 4x4 with plenty of space, food, water, and heat. I guess I am still learning

Back
Top Bottom