help 8 hens and have only ever gotten 3 eggs

frmgrl1968

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Wellington, Oh
I finally got my first egg 3 in fact. Three different looking eggs but its been 3 day since and no eggs. I have 8 hens total what is wrong. I know the cold and short day light time affects them but I've only gotten 3 eggs total.

Ariel301

Songster
10 Years
Nov 14, 2009
Kingman Arizona
If they are just starting out, they can be slow, especially with short days and cold weather. Give them a little while and they will speed up. Also, not all chickens lay an egg every day.

Last edited:

mjlabs

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 30, 2011
West Central Illinois
Depends what kind of hens you have....some breeds lay an egg a day and some once a week. If you dont have a production-heavy breed hen then you probably wont get 'alot' of eggs.

BoltonChicken

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Bolton, Mississippi
This is also a tough time of year, optimally 16 hours of daylight is recommended for ladies best laying.

This is absolutely true. My 5 BO's were laying as many as five eggs per day back in September, but the production has dropped to two or three daily since December. I look forward to seeing what happens come Spring.

Blue Ninja

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 4, 2011
Check out the "feeding chickens black pepper" thread. I tried it after getting 3 eggs (at most) a day with 12 pullets. Now I regularly get 6-8 eggs a day. None of my chickens are "production" hens.

I fed them black pepper for 4 consecutive days, then stopped once I got them jump started.

Last edited:
Top Bottom