1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

help 8 hens and have only ever gotten 3 eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frmgrl1968, Jan 2, 2012.

1. frmgrl1968

frmgrl1968 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    Wellington, Oh
    I finally got my first egg 3 in fact. Three different looking eggs but its been 3 day since and no eggs. I have 8 hens total what is wrong. I know the cold and short day light time affects them but I've only gotten 3 eggs total.

2. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    If they are just starting out, they can be slow, especially with short days and cold weather. Give them a little while and they will speed up. Also, not all chickens lay an egg every day.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2012
  3. mjlabs

mjlabs Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2011
    West Central Illinois
    Depends what kind of hens you have....some breeds lay an egg a day and some once a week. If you dont have a production-heavy breed hen then you probably wont get 'alot' of eggs. [​IMG]

4. frmgrl1968

Oct 30, 2011
    Wellington, Oh
    I have golden buff and barred rock both are suppose to be excellent producers

5. allpeepedout

allpeepedout Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Maybe only three have started laying? It is individual, and may take many days or even weeks for some of the others to start.

6. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Quote:I agree here. Maybe not all have started to lay yet. They also don't lay everyday when they are just beginning.

7. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    This is also a tough time of year, optimally 16 hours of daylight is recommended for ladies best laying.

8. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    This is also a tough time of year, optimally 16 hours of daylight is recommended for ladies best laying.

This is absolutely true. My 5 BO's were laying as many as five eggs per day back in September, but the production has dropped to two or three daily since December. I look forward to seeing what happens come Spring.

9. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    Check out the "feeding chickens black pepper" thread. I tried it after getting 3 eggs (at most) a day with 12 pullets. Now I regularly get 6-8 eggs a day. None of my chickens are "production" hens.

I fed them black pepper for 4 consecutive days, then stopped once I got them jump started.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  10. frmgrl1968

Oct 30, 2011
    Wellington, Oh
    Is there a certain kind of black pepper?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by