Help a Frazzle

And that is called a frazzle? Too much for my brain: frizzle, frazzle, sizzle, double frizzle, silkied....LOL
Yes it's called a frazzle, though double frizzle is probably the same thing, I believe I have also read curly is another term used.

Those terms with "S" generally refer to silkies and silkie crosses.

I accidently hatched a frazzle, saved 2 eggs to hatch that I thought came from a smooth hen, rooster turned out frizzled and is doing fine but the hen must have had 2 frizzled parents. Anyway, she is very sweet and outgoing. Feathers came in good at first, then she lost the ones on her head and neck, except for top of head, looked like she had a mohawk but now she has lost the feathers on her butt so I am thinking of just making her a house chicken but putting up a shady pen so she can spend some time outside. She drinks a lot of water and her poop, while it looks normal, is moisture then my other chickens. Anyone know if this is normal for a frazzle or if something else is wrong. Also, is there anything I can add to her feed to try to dry it a little, can't put a diaper on her and it is messy to pick up.

I accidently hatched a frazzle, saved 2 eggs to hatch that I thought came from a smooth hen, rooster turned out frizzled and is doing fine but the hen must have had 2 frizzled parents. Anyway, she is very sweet and outgoing. Feathers came in good at first, then she lost the ones on her head and neck, except for top of head, looked like she had a mohawk but now she has lost the feathers on her butt so I am thinking of just making her a house chicken but putting up a shady pen so she can spend some time outside. She drinks a lot of water and her poop, while it looks normal, is moisture then my other chickens. Anyone know if this is normal for a frazzle or if something else is wrong. Also, is there anything I can add to her feed to try to dry it a little, can't put a diaper on her and it is messy to pick up.
Frizzles still will have feathers broken off and pulled out from being mated too much, or picked on by other birds. Their feathers are not as strong as regular feathers. You cannot get a frazzle from a frizzle to smooth, so it must be a frizzle. Most chickens are stressed by being kept by themselves. I keep my frizzles cochins with gentle bantams only as they are often bullied. What breed is yours?

I have a frizzled rooster that was with both smooth and frizzled hens, don't know who the mother is, my hens all lay eggs in the same nest, 3 of the hens lay eggs that look the same, I just picked 2 hoping the smooth hen was the mother, she has not been with a rooster so that is not the problem and none of my hens ever picked on her when she was with them, it was after her first molt I could see the differences in her feathers and that is when I separated her, she doesn't appear to be stressed at all. Her father is a serama, her mother is most likely one of my frizzled polish/cochin crosses

View attachment 1291710 View attachment 1291707 View attachment 1291705 Very sad...I acquired a "frizzle" because she was being picked on and now that I have researched frizzles...I've learned she is actually an extreme frizzle...she is sweet and lovable but she's missing so many feathers…does anyone know if there is anything that can be done to help her at all?... she seems healthy…lays about 5/week... I feel so bad for her she's pitiful looking…I live in central Florida. I've listed pictures of her when I got her in January and now in March...she's about 9 months old...
My bantam Jane looks so similar. I am afraid that she may be a Frazzle too
00C6C83C-12D7-4B99-ADCD-0872B7AFAF4B.jpeg
5D2FE2CC-1046-437E-A1B7-7E24D699EBD6.jpeg
BA304AD1-8536-4E23-B695-69CB23E6323B.jpeg
99DFBBF7-8D06-4AF3-B6F0-E513B264E8A6.jpeg

I have a frizzled rooster that was with both smooth and frizzled hens, don't know who the mother is, my hens all lay eggs in the same nest, 3 of the hens lay eggs that look the same, I just picked 2 hoping the smooth hen was the mother, she has not been with a rooster so that is not the problem and none of my hens ever picked on her when she was with them, it was after her first molt I could see the differences in her feathers and that is when I separated her, she doesn't appear to be stressed at all. Her father is a serama, her mother is most likely one of my frizzled polish/cochin crosses
Than the egg was from your frizzle hen unfortunately. That's why I'm very careful when I pick eggs to hatch since I have a frizzle rooster, and a few frizzle hens.

My frazzled girl Veronica a.k.a. Ronnie loves being with the other girls I tried separating her one time because I thought they may pick on her but she can hold her own she's not at the top of the pecking order but she's not at the bottom either… She's very happy with them although she looks half naked most of the time but I do have a covered run and two houses for her to get out of the sun...I don't know about the watery poop Ronnie poops normal like my other girls...hopefully someone here can help you with that problem

I have just been given a little hen that I am pretty sure is a frazzle. She is a bantam, and small, even so. She is missing a lot of feathers, and most of the ones she has are just shaft until near the end. Her skin is bright red all over, and she has a deformed toe, though it does not seem to bother her.

She lives, now, inside, because other chickens terrify her. Also, she is cold all the time! Her sinuses seem constantly congested, and so far, antibiotics have done nothing to resolve the issue. Also, no matter what I fedf her, her eggs have only the membrane, no shell.

Despite all of this, she is a friendly, chatty little girl! She eats well, but I wish she drank more water get get skin always seems dry, and it is unpleasantly prickly, like the stem of a pumpkin. My experience with frazzles is only with this one. She will be loved and safe here, but I wish I knew which of these traits were due to her genes, and which require treatment. Any input will be welcomed!!!

Back
Top Bottom