Help! A new wound appeared

JackH

In the Brooder
Jan 27, 2019
I need help with one of my button quails. He has recently got a wound on the side of his ear and I'm not sure how. He is a male quail and has a female partner. Just this morning I noticed he had a wound now on the top of his head. His wound is still healing but I'm still don't know the cause of the and I'm worried the female one may be pecking him. They are still currently together but and they show no signs of aggression and he needs help. What could be the cause?

Attachments

• 20190212_075126.jpg
    20190212_075126.jpg
    436.1 KB · Views: 12
I don't know much Bout quail, but my best quess is that the hen is pecking him. Some this that may cause aggression >how big is your cage? Are you giving them plenty to eat? Enough protien, calcium, vitamins? Stress will cause pecking, dietary deficiency, not enough food.

I need help with one of my button quails. He has recently got a wound on the side of his ear and I'm not sure how. He is a male quail and has a female partner. Just this morning I noticed he had a wound now on the top of his head. His wound is still healing but I'm still don't know the cause of the and I'm worried the female one may be pecking him. They are still currently together but and they show no signs of aggression and he needs help. What could be the cause?
Hi @JackH :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post a clearer photo of the wounds?

I don't know much about Quail either, but if you suspect the female is pecking at him, it would be a good idea to separate them until you get this figured out.

The one on the side of the head, is it at his ear? You can put a little Vetericyn or triple antibiotic ointment on the wounds if you feel they need to be treated.
As for housing/management - you may want to visit the Quail Forum as well
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/quail.48/

Back
Top Bottom