Help! About to incubate for the 1st time & recevied double the hatching eggs asked for - feeling ov

Oh- and the marking of the air cells I find very helpful in letting me monitor the growth between the 3 candling periods of importance (days 7/14/18). It also helps when you mark air cells at day 18 to get an idea of where the external pip should appear and you can face that side of the egg up so you can see the pip as it happens and watch the progress.

For great candling resource I use: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation Great point of comparison for newbies.

Here we go! Temp is at 101 and humidity is at 36% after dumping all water out of the reservoirs yesterday and running incubator dry until this morning. Fingers crossed!!

Last edited:
**update** It's day 7 so we candled. Never done it before and what a wonderful, fun & exciting experience! My kids were so thrilled every time we saw the little dot of a chick bouncing around inside!
Of the 35 eggs received, we have 9 "Duds". Not bad!!
Thanks for all of your help and encouragement! This is fun!

It's my first time to hatch the eggs in incubator too
Today we just candled.....we not really sure which one good or bad !!
Some of them look ok but can't find air cell !!
Some look not develop but looked little bit dark so I sti keep all of them in there .
Anyone know is it ok if the eggs that's not develop still in there until day 14 ......so when I candle again and take the bad one out in that time?

Some look not develop but looked little bit dark so I sti keep all of them in there .
Anyone know is it ok if the eggs that's not develop still in there until day 14 ......so when I candle again and take the bad one out in that time?

I am certainly no expert but it was very clear which were alive and well and which were just yolk. There is a very clear air pocket and then veins everywhere and the black dot of the chick.
I've only attempted to hatch one other time with shipped eggs under a broody hen and when I candled those it was confusing because I wasn't sure if I was seeing anything and they were dark inside. All turneout to be duds. I left them all under her for 25 days just in case and I don't recommend that. The smell was horrific when I finally cracked them open. Yuk
I've read that it's more difficult in dark eggs. Mine are light beige and light blue and it was super easy to tell. Are you seeing any veins at all?

Last edited:
Yeah I have 13 eggs 6 of them see the veins very clearly but the less I m not sure
And some that I saw veins but I can't see the air cell
I hard if we leave the bad eggs to long in incubator they can explore
But I want to candle again on day 10 or 14 do u think is it ok?

Yeah I have 13 eggs 6 of them see the veins very clearly but the less I m not sure
And some that I saw veins but I can't see the air cell
I hard if we leave the bad eggs to long in incubator they can explore
But I want to candle again on day 10 or 14 do u think is it ok?
When you candle, candle down into the egg from the top (fat rounded end-where the air cell is). When you candle from the top the light illuminates the air cell and you'll be able to see it and make out the development much better. If you candle from the side or the bottom, you won't see the air cell. I remove all my clears on day 10 and any blood rings as I find them. If you have a bad smell, sniff it out and remove any egg with a bad smell. They are the ones with the biggest potential for exploding. It's not a common occurance, but it can happen. Good luck.

thank you so much
I candled them again from the top like u said and I see more clear
So now I have 1 blood ring and 2 look like no develop....I wi wait until day 10 and take it out if still the same

Back
Top Bottom