Help! About to incubate for the 1st time & recevied double the hatching eggs asked for - feeling ov

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VeggieMinette, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Guyswithchicks

Guyswithchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    Hmmmmm personally I would be a little bit concerned if all the eggs were the same. I don't have too many suggestions except that I would let nature take its course. I say this with full knowledge that when we artificially incubate eggs we are interfering with nature but in this case I am not sure what can be done. If it were me I might try to lay the eggs on their side in the hope that the cells may alter.
    What I do think is that like a difficult pregnancy, you are going to have to monitor the development closely and candle more regularly.
    When I candle I do it on day 7 day 14 day 18. Provided there are no external pips early on day 20 I weigh a sample of eggs to establish average weight loss which determines whether I add water to the incubator or not.
    I suggest that you keep monitoring them and see how it goes.
    You are surrounded here by people who are prepared to guide you so don't panic.
    It always pays to check air cell placement on shipped eggs before incubation commences. I have some theories on the relative lack of success on shipped eggs.

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Before you freak out and higher your humidity to a range that is going to drown your chicks, are you candling from the big end, air cell down into the eggs? Those markings on your eggs look like you are tracing the albumen area instead of the air cell. If you candle on the side or the bottom, that clear spot you see is NOT the air cell. If you are candleing from the top down into the egg and still feel that you are seeing air cell in the bottom, can you get a pic of the actual candling so that we can see and further help?

3. Well, **** it, I'm a moron! I was candling from the bottom (pointy end) up. I will candle them from the top down, tonight. (insert eye roll here). You're a lifesaver, AmyLynn2374! I agree with you Guyswithchicks....I'm screwing with mother nature and I appreciate the BackyardChickens community so much!

4. suliah

suliah Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2014
    Muskegon, MI
    This is what I was thinking... The mark you made is how far down the chick has developed so far (which looks about right to me).

Candle from the other side and you'll see something completely different.

I don't candle top down (I candle with an upright flashlight and a full roll of toilet paper on top, perfect size for my eggs). I put the big side down, kinda diagonal, and turn the egg to trace the air sac.

5. Guyswithchicks

Guyswithchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    Phew..... There you go everything is sorted. You can sit back and enjoy the experience of hatching eggs.
    I agree with Amy that upping the humidity would not have been productive at this early stage.
    I have to admit that I did consider suggesting that you hadn't candled from the correct end but I was being polite and assumed you had... Lol.

6. That's funny! Thank you for being polite but I've got thick skin and am not afraid to laugh at myself. Lesson learned thankfully not at the expense of the chicks :)

7. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    It is very common for new candlers to candle from the bottom or side. Especially when you see pics of candlers that you "set" your eggs in, so don't feel bad. Let us know how it looks from the top.

I actually candle at an angle down into the air cell, so it's just off center, but I use my hand to cup around the egg....lol

8. nolakes

nolakes Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2015
    Can someone please give me advice on shipped eggs. I let them rest and now in the incubator. I get mixed advice on to turn or not to turn on those first 7 days. They say don't turn till the 7 th day and once candled. Yes or no? Thank you

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Did you candle before putting them in the incubator? How do the air cells look? If they are detatched then I would refrain from turning for 2-3 days, but I personally wouldn't go more than 3-4 days with out turning. If the air cells look firm and attached I definitely wouldn't go 7 days w/o turning.

10. Ok, phew. I've candled them and this is much better!
    And you give more info on the bloodline issue? I think I may have one but am not sure. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by