1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! About to incubate for the 1st time & recevied double the hatching eggs asked for - feeling ov

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VeggieMinette, Oct 2, 2015.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Bloodline...are you talking about blood rings?? When an egg quites early on in development the tiny blood veins condense and draw back leaving either a reddish/black ring around the egg or sometimes a ring on one side

2. Yes, blood ring. I'll Google pictures. Thanks again! You're such a fantastic help and I appreciate it!

3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You're welcome and good luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Phew, glad that got straightened out. I also thought maybe candling wrong but there was a previous post about candling so i assumed it was being done correctly. My bad. Good luck

1 person likes this.
  5. Hatching this Saturday! Sooooo excited.

6. Guyswithchicks

Guyswithchicks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2015
    hope everything works out for the best.

1 person likes this.
  7. chattery41

chattery41 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    near Cleveland TN
    Your gonna love this part. [​IMG]Watching and waiting for them to get out of that egg is incredible. Good luck with ur hatch and i hope all goes well.

1 person likes this.
  8. Hi AmyLynn2374,

I am at day 18, today. Do I go into "Lockdown" tomorrow? What should I bump the humidity up to? I had planned on taking them out of the egg turner tomorrow morning and then forcing myself to not "meddle" after that.

Air cells all look great! I candled last night and all are progressing nicely. We ended up with 2 more that didn't make it after the initial candle on day 7. So, out of 35 eggs received, we are holding steady at 24. Interested to see how many hatch!

Impatient in California,

Minette

9. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Most people stop turning and go onto lockdown on day 18, many wait until toward the end of day 18, or night hours of the 18th day so the can candle and mark air cells more easily. If you are really going to be "hands off" and not meddle, you can get away with 65% for lockdown humidity. I am a meddler...lol so I run at 75% at lockdown (once they start hatching it will naturally increase so I end up during hatch anywhere from 80-90, but it doesn't usually stay there long because I meddle....lol)
    24 is pretty great. Good luck on the hatch!! Hope to hear good things!

10. Ok, I'll run at 75% -Who am I kidding...Impossible not to meddle :)

Thank you for the quick reply! Fingers crossed & I'll keep you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by