Help!!! Accidental baby chicks

Chickenduckchick

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2018
Eastern NC
:idunnomy broody sexlink hen ”Pepper” kept sitting on eggs, stealing others eggs and try her darndest to hatch them. I took her off multiple times, threw out the eggs and tried my best to snap her out of it. I already have 13 chickens and that is plenty for what I need. Well she is a great hider because she had eggs hidden well under her and the bedding, because I just went outside to check on the girls and I hear that undeniable chirp chirp of baby chicks, two just hatched and there are 3 more eggs that are chirping as well.... Ughhhh. All my other girls lived inside for 2 months since I bought them already hatched. I have no idea what to do. Momma seems quite fine but I'm not sure what my part in this is. I cannot bring them in, separating will be difficult.... I'm so lost!! What do I need to do? Any one in eastern nc want chicks?? Of course right here before winter. Any help is appreciated!!

Yeah, underestimate chickens at your peril. As far as your role in raising these chicks, you don't need to do much more than provide dry crumbles (not layer feed) and water in containers close to floor level so the chicks can access them. Be sure the water is drown-proofed.

The chicks should be weaned around four to six weeks. I'd say that anytime after that, they can go to their new homes.

Oh, just let her have them, she sure worked hard enough!
If your coop isn't quite big enough, you've got a good month to sort out a little extra space before they start roosting!
Haven't you heard of chicken math??
Haha yes chicken math.... So I've heard. Of course she will keep them until they can be seperared. I cld never pull them apart. I have a full sized barn that they all use. I just have to find a way to separat them. My rooster is a meanie and will go after them as soon as he knows they are there.

My bantam hen just hatched out three black chicks. She is so determined to have babies. I thought, might as well let her hatch now before it gets freezing cold because she’s just going to go crazy over the winter and I’ll have to relent in January when its really chilly. She’s hatched in October before though so I’m not worried :) she’s such a bad girl. Too bad you couldn’t keep your babies!

My bantam hen just hatched out three black chicks. She is so determined to have babies. I thought, might as well let her hatch now before it gets freezing cold because she’s just going to go crazy over the winter and I’ll have to relent in January when its really chilly. She’s hatched in October before though so I’m not worried :) she’s such a bad girl. Too bad you couldn’t keep your babies!
Well that makes me feel a bit better. I just went to TS and got baby food for them. This is def a new experience letting her do the work, I'm used to bringing them in for 2 months. I sure hope they will be ok out there. I already added a heat lamp in my barn and my girls have been loving it the past few nights. I hope the babies are warm enough!

Well that makes me feel a bit better. I just went to TS and got baby food for them. This is def a new experience letting her do the work, I'm used to bringing them in for 2 months. I sure hope they will be ok out there. I already added a heat lamp in my barn and my girls have been loving it the past few nights. I hope the babies are warm enough!
If they have a mama hen they do not need a heat lamp. They make a special peeping sound that lets the mom know that they’re cold. She knows! But a heat lamp is a good idea as well.

If they have a mama hen they do not need a heat lamp. They make a special peeping sound that lets the mom know that they’re cold. She knows! But a heat lamp is a good idea as well.
Ok thanks! Right now it is pointed at the loft area in the barn where all my chickens sleep at night... Glad to know mama will do the hard work.

Back
Top Bottom