HELP-addiction- had coop made, now need a secondary/already- advice

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by wannabchick, Jan 18, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    I love my new coop I had made for me, will share when I put all the finishing touches on it. It's gonna be such a me coop LOL

Problem though, yep you know it..isn't going to be big enough for my addiction, really can't afford to have them make me another..or beleive me I would, cause I love it

Hence my problem
    Need to order a secondary coop for for silkies and cochin

Can silkies and Cochins share?

Or a secondary coop for problem children.. Wink wink

Will this coop work? Feedback appreciated before I purchase, goal to mount it on trailer, or maybe not
    But, does it look solid enough ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicken-Poultry-coop-Hen-house-Cage-6-Nest-areas-007L-/140417484102?
    pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b188c546#ht_4974wt_782

http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicken-Coop-CC...ps=63&clkid=6459169146757442810#ht_6097wt_922

Thank you

Or what do you think of this one for 3 bantams
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Chicken-Poultry...ultDomain_0&hash=item20b188c546#ht_4974wt_782

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Those look like the prefab coops sometimes sold under the "Ware" name. Do a search on this forum and I think you'll find people who bought these kind of coops say the wood is flimsy and warps quickly in the rain.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

The first one has less than 9 sq. ft. of living space...maybe only 8 sq. ft. I wouldn't keep more than 3 bantams in it... the 2nd has even less space.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    I have considered this very problem. So here is a rookie question: if I get another coop do I also have to have a separate run or will they be able to hang outside together then go to their own houses at night? Is that a stupid question? The run would be PLENTY big....

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have 8, count them: eight coops in my back yard, and everybody goes back to their own coops. I used to have a run enclosing five of them; now that they range freely and there are 3 coops outside the run perimeter I don't close the run gate. I do close up each coop though.

I start out with each set of youngsters "growing out" in a coop with a temporary garden fence or one of chicken wire with garden stakes for a small run just for that new coop, inside the main run. For about 2 weeks. That way, everybody can see & hear everybody else, but not get into any fights that may injure someone. By the time I take down the temp fencing, there is no "who are THOSE chickens?" because they are no longer strangers.

And the kids have learned that's their coop, and will continue to return to it at night.

Over a period of time there may be new bonds forged within the flock, which may cause some coop-hopping. No biggie; they can roost wherever they want, as long as everybody gets shelter.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Those coops look really nice but they don't last all that long. The wood is very flimsy. I had the outdoor rabbit hutch and it didn't last a year outside. Do yourself a favor and buy a kids playhouse off craigslist, put some wire on the windows and add some roosts. They will last soooooo much longer.

Plus 100x's cheaper!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by