Help & Advice for Rehoming Cherry Valley Ducks

HollyWoozle

Crowing
5 Years
Jun 12, 2018
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
We are looking at rehoming around 4 Cherry Valley ducks who have come from a commercial laying farm since they need a home and we have space. We have a small lake in our horse field and have had ducks for years and years, but not confined to a run or house for any real period of time. The lake has a small island with a house on it (which needs replacing) and is currently home to 3 Indian Runner x Mallard drakes who are semi-wild (we had IRs which bred with wild Mallards) that are pretty old now, around 10. They roam free, sleep where they like and have outsmarted any nearby foxes. We feed them but that is all the maintenance we do and they have thrived. There are also Moorhens on the lake and some wild Greylag geese who come for the nesting season. I believe the CV ducks are fairly substantial and should be an OK match with the drakes we have?

In order to rehome these ducks we need to provide a secure house and run space for them and I am desperately trying to think how we can do that since all the land next to the lake slopes down to it. In an ideal world we would confine them for the initial period and then let them free range with the other ducks, but I am assuming that if they become accustomed to sleeping in a house then they are likely to always return to it? And maybe our drakes will try to join them? In which case we would need to factor in more space and consider that in winter they will be in there for long periods of time. It would be perfect if they would just mix with the others and then sleep where they wanted... I think this is a lot healthier in many ways than being shut up in a house all the time.

We can put a house and run next to the lake for them for now, or even overlapping the lake so they can swim in it already (I have seen a large metal chicken run for sale nearby which could work, even on a slope?). Or another option would be to put a new house on the island and fence them on there? That would work well in the long run as even if they kept the habit of returning to the house to sleep each night, they'd be pretty safe. I know that foxes can swim but the lake is next to the house and we've never encountered any issues with foxes reaching the island so far. My concern with that is that if our current ducks or the moorhens sleep on there currently, which I'm not sure on, then they would be fenced out for the period the others are fenced in. :confused:

My primary queries are:

- realistically how big a house should we provide for these ducks? I am considering just adapting a roomy dog kennel or shed as this is much cheaper than buying a purpose-built duck house (and doesn't seem much different?)

- how much run space do they need for the introductory period when they are not allowed to free range?

- do you think it likely they will always return to the house to sleep even when they are able to roam free? Since our other ducks have never been confined I wondered if they might just learn the ropes from them and get in the habit of sleeping 'out and about'?

- what bedding do you use in your duck houses?

Thanks in advance for your help. We have chickens already, including some ex-commercial 'rescues', and would really love to offer these ducks a good home and also give some needed company to our ageing drakes, particularly as they are unlikely to live much longer and we don't wish to end up with a last lonely duck.

Quick pic attached - you can just see the island at the back (with large willow tree). We don't usually have so many visiting geese, just took the pic as so many stopped by.

Attachments

• IMG_8981.jpeg
    IMG_8981.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 48
Is there any place up by your home that would be suitable for a pen and house? A large dog kennel with a house inside and covering over top to keep out climbing predators?
Pine shavings works really well for bedding.
Most people who have ponds have trouble getting their ducks back to their pen and coop once they have been introduced to the water.
Feeding them only inside the pen may help and may entice your drakes to come home too.
This is standard housing for ducks for large breed like CV 6sq ft per duck for inside housing,
outside recommendation is 10sq ft per duck
when housed only at night for protection
4sq ft is okay.
references were taken from Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread
A beautiful place you have there.

Thanks for updating, They sure do look happy in their new freedom. Hopefully, they will stay safe and your boys will teach them the ropes.
Such a shame poultry are kept like you described it shouldn't be like that. :( but bless you for saving 4 of them. ❤️

Last edited:
Thank you! They seem very settled so far and I am making sure to keep them well-fed and close to home.

It is so sad to think of how many ducks are still kept like them and of course chickens too. We have taken on quite a few ex-battery farm hens over time and the state they arrive in is pitiful, but rehoming them is becoming increasingly popular. I'm assuming that as more and more people take up backyard chicken keeping there will be less and less demand for eggs from cage-kept hens and hopefully it will die out over time!

We got all set up at the weekend and collected our 4 ducks on Monday evening. They had been in a holding facility (a charity volunteer’s garden essentially) with around 25 other ducks for 6 days before we got them. Prior to that they were barn-kept commercial layers without access to the outdoors or water for swimming. In the holding place they had a shared sort of paddling pool or similar but between the whole group so didn’t get much space.

They were absolutely filthy and terrified on arrival but went straight into the water here for a good wash: https://streamable.com/x1ch2y

And another clip: https://streamable.com/17bkh1

I herded them into their house Monday and Tuesday night and everything had been going swimmingly. Then last night as I went to shut the door on the house they bolted out and all bundled against the fencing and two managed to get under it, argh! This was a good lesson for me and pretty stressful. They got onto the open water of our little lake and I knew I had no chance to get them back in, so I waded out and pulled up the wire in the water allowing them to swim in and out of the enclosure.

Thankfully they survived the night. At around 00:40 I heard a fox and I got up and did a lap of our property - all 4 ducks were back in their enclosure at that point and I am happy they see it as a sort of base camp. The enclosure and our property isn’t fox-proof, only the house I had for them is (which I now can’t get them in) but can’t do much about it now. We had planned to set them free after a week or so anyway. Our old drakes are at least 10 years old and haven’t been eaten yet!

Here are the girls this morning: https://streamable.com/z09if8

Enjoying freedom! I’ve left lots to eat in their feeder and hopefully they’ll just settle in to free living.

Thanks again @Miss Lydia for your help. It has been a learning curve for me! The main thing is that the ducks seem healthy, happy and survived their first night out and about.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom