Help/Advice on diagnosing my chicken. Egg bound/EYP/Vent gleet?!?

ED1995

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2023
Just looking for advice/suggestions/insight or to see if anyone has had any similar experiences.

Found a hen with a pecking injury to vent last Tuesday
Was very bloody, cleaned her up and separated her.
The Wednesday she seemed to be egg bound, really unwell/uncomfortable struggling to lay mucky bum, poo unable to pass etc.
Had her in an Epsom salt bath all the usual and at one point could see/feel the egg. Didn't think she'd make the night.

Fast forward a week she's shockingly still with us, she's got a good colour, no longer hunched up, vent injury healed, solid normal poops, eating and drinking normally and moving about, very bright and chirpy.

She still has a slight dirty bum but not half as bad as it was previously. But still no egg(s)

Any suggestions on what this might be and how to move forward? I've been concerned about EYP but I'm just at a bit of a loss because she seems to be getting better and better?

Vet is not currently an option for us unfortunately.

A list of what's been done/tried for context

- Epsom salt baths
- Vaseline around vent (when suspected egg bound)
- ACV
- Electrolyte in water
- Colloidal Silver (topical to vent wound and mixed in water)
- Cat food/scrambled to encourage appetite when needed.
- Liquid calcium

I've ordered some canestan to try and clear up mucky bum in case of yeast infection and will try that tomorrow.

Thoughts?

Welcome to BYC. How old is she? Does she lay eggs normally? Vent pecking can lead to problems laying and passing droppings. Are you in the UK? An antifungal cream such as nystatin or miconazole can be given orally to treat fungal/yeast/vent gleet infections. Keeping the vent clean daily is helpful. Probiotics in her diet are good for several days a week. Salpingitis and lash egg material can look like egg binding. Sometimes we don’t know what was going on until after death when we can do a necropsy and look into the abdominal organs. Calcium with vitamin D may help to increase muscle contraction to pass an egg.

Hello, we got her at POL in April - so around a year old? (My maths is awful)
Yes I am in the UK - I'll look into these. Up until the vent pecking incident she had laid daily no issues. It was the next morning after beibg seperated that she was struggling - I was assuming down to either stress/the injury/both.

She's Just had her daily bath and her vent is much cleaner by the day, I have taken a pic to monitor for tomorrow. but still no signs of eggs - this is what I am worried about!

The 'Egg' I felt and at one point actually saw was very egg like with shell and felt a normal shape/size- so doubtful it was a lash egg. Salpingitis I am not familiar with so would have no clue.

But the fact this egg I saw Wednesday evening has seemingly 'Dissapeared' for over a week with none to follow has confused the life of me. From all I have read a stuck egg would have given 24-48 hours or at least some form of decline.....but instead we have had nothing but improvement and now totally ormal droppings so no indication of a blockage.

Other than the slight mucky butt and no laying if I was to just see her as she is out and about in the coop I would not suspect there was anything wrong.
I am wondering at what point now I should reintroduce her back to the flock. It seems mean keeping a happy chicken seperated.

also do you have any reccomendations for probiotics?

Thank you :)

Also - sorry to jump on the back and ask another question here.

All my chickens are sufferingfrom feather loss/bald butts/backs - I had put this down to feather pecking after they've been shut in the run for a while whilst I work on building them a safe area to roam following an attemped daylight fox attack.

But I have noticed pin feathers coming through on them. Now I am wobdering if the baldness was in fact Moult? (We never had any blood drawn until this week and they have been bald for a wee while) everything I have read has suggested Hens this age won't moult/too early in the year for moulting!

These girls are truly baffling me

Molting can occur the fist time around 16 to 18 months old give or take. When molting you should see loose feathers lying around in the coop. They will have blue pin feathers coming in. If there is overcrowding or boredom, some might peck and eat those pin feathers. If they are picking out feathers the feather loss may remain until they do have a yearly molt when new feathers come in. Eggs can go in reverse back up inside the abdomen sometimes. But since it had a shell already, I ‘m not sure. Can you place her in a crate near the other chickens, so that she doesn’t have to be separate? If you have any pictures of her vent feel free to post them. Plain unsweetened yogurt has probiotics, and there are some for animals that can go in the water.

Yeah I'm starting to wonder if it's a bizarrely early moult, there were a lot of feathers lying about and the pecking has only really been causing bleeding since I've seen these new feathers coming in.

This was her vent earlier before I cleaned her up.

Attachments

• PXL_20230817_124021936.jpg
    PXL_20230817_124021936.jpg
    422.5 KB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom