1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Help! All of my eggs look like they have detached air cells

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Nicolla, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Christi2107

Christi2107 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2010
    Texas
    If the space where your air sac is is large it means your humidity is too low. The only time I've had detached air sacs is when I was incubating ducks which require very high humidity and I couldn't keep my humidity up. A quick fix would be to wet some paper towels and stick them under your wire bottom but be carefull not to get them too wet because they create a lot of humidity in the incubator. Good luck!

2. wabbit1964

wabbit1964 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Maine
    My Coop
    Thank you sphinx, when I candled last night I have one egg that looks very much like this glad there is hope to be had..

3. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    How did your eggs do???

4. ErniesFlock

ErniesFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks Adrian I am going to cross my fingers and follow these directions. I have 8 expensive Blue Isbar eggs and it looks like all but 2 are in aircel trouble. When I candle is looks like water is moving around in there. Stressssssful :-( getting eggs shipped whats else can we do when there is no one local :-((

5. kakejo

kakejo New Egg

Aug 2, 2015
    THANK you so much for this... I have been trying to find any suggestions... my fingers are crossed.

6. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
  7. kakejo

kakejo New Egg

Aug 2, 2015
    THANK you so much for this... I have been trying to find any suggestions... my fingers are crossed.

8. gapey

gapey Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2014
    Monroe, WA
    I wish there was a report back telling how it went. I'm in a similar situation. shipped eggs and nearly all had a detached air sack. I had them separated into two brooders, my Brinsea and a borrowed Hovabator. After some reading I decided to put them all in the hovabator to give them a more upright position. I'm only on day 3 so not far into the hatch. I candled them before setting and couldn't see much and candled again last night and could clearly see the detached air sack in most of them. No veining visible. I'll wait until day 7 to check again.

9. Nksg75

Nksg75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Gapey,
    How do the eggs look so far?
    I am in the same situation with shipped eggs. I chose the opposite as you. I put most of mine in my brinsea(bc I honestly trust it more so than my homade incubator)
    I am on day 3 and just started to turn the eggs.

10. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY

This reply is for both of you above. I have done several batches of shipped eggs. Every time I have had totally detached air cells they never developed. But then on one of my previous batches of shipped call duck eggs, that all had detached air cells, 5 out of 11 eggs developed. Most of them quit at various stages throughout incubation. But I did lockdown 2 eggs and 1 actually hatched!!!! That was a first for me. So I can officially say that I had a totally detached air cell on arrival that reattached after the second week and hatched. I started tilting them in cartons after the first 24 hours. Day 2-8 are the most important days for turning. I can get into the science of it if you'd like to know why. But please start tilting those eggs ASAP!! And good luck to you both. Don't give up on them!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by