Help!! all you experienced quial hatchers!! (cortunix eggs)

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
I have never hatched quail before. I just got some off eBay, and I want to know if I am doing it right before I mess up. This will be the first time I have bought any eggs for incubating, so any help is appreciated. These are the Texas A&M white cortunix. I have A LOT of questions...
1.how do you incubate quail?
2.Can I put them in the same bator as my chicken eggs (not in the turner)?
3. how long do they take to incubate?
4. What do they eat? I have unmedicated chick start for my chickens, and flock raiser for my ducks, are either of these ok?

I think that is it for now...I'm sure i'll be asking more questions later!

Last edited:
The incubat at the same temp as chicken eggs. It takes 17 days for them to hatch. I guess you could put them in with chicken eggs just wait4 days after you put the chicken eggs in to put in the quail. They are very tiny. I just had my first ones hatch on Wen and Thur. Good luck.
Chris

Quote:
The larger babies won't hurt the smaller ones as they are all hatching and running about?

I don't know. That is the reason I said I guess.
Chris

Quote:
1. Same as chicken eggs
2. Not sure; never done it but the quail are much more active as soon as they hatch as opposed to the chickens. I guess I wouldn't be as concerned about the chickens hurting the quail as long as you get the quail out before the chickens start fluffing and moving.
3. Stop turning on day 14; they hatch on day 16 or 17
4. I feed mine 24% unmedicated chick starter or high protein gamebird feed - 28% - IF I can find the gamebird feed. Never used flock raiser so I'm not sure what that is.

Good luck!

I would not brood quail and chickens together. In my experience, the quail are terrors to baby chickens and will follow them around to peck at their vents (it's a height thing).

Quail should also be on a gamebird starter, which we grind for the first week or two to ensure they can eat it. Turkey starter works in a pinch.

Jody

Thanks everyone, FYI the flock raiser is an all bird food, that has more protein than the chick start that I get...I believe it is 26%, but not sure, will have to check.. I will have them in seperate brooders, the baby chicks will probbly have a hen to go to...so that's not a problem. I also ordered a fan to put in my bator, since I know the different sized eggs in a still air will have different temps. Thanks to all who replied..

Back
Top Bottom