HELP! Almost time to kick the girls out of the house, and I'm sad & nervous!

CCtheflockboss

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
Hi everyone! It's almost time for the ladies to move out to their coop. They are about 7 weeks old, and the coop is just about ready, just need a few finishing touches. It is very predator-proof, and I've made sure we go above and beyond to make their home as nice as possible. HOWEVER, I've made some very, very friendly chickens (handle them a lot and they are more like lap dogs now than chickens!). I am very nervous and scared -- don't want them to be anxious or stressed -- any tips, tricks, ideas, or thoughts to help me (and them) get through the first couple of long nights after transitioning them to the coop outside?? Much appreciated!

The only one that will stress over it is you, kids first day in school kind of thing, kids are fine parents are having a hard time. Keep them in the hen house the first week (tells them where they should roost), next week let them out into the run (shows them where they should play), and free range if you want the third week.
Thank you! Yes I’m sure it’s just me! We’ve actually been building it and they’ve been hanging out with us through the whole process, they walk up their ladder into the coop and roost inside on the branches already, they seem to love it! So you’re saying to put them just in coop for a few days first? To get them use to sleeping and living in there, then open up to run also?

For a week,
So you’re saying to put them just in coop for a few days first? To get them use to sleeping and living in there, then open up to run also?

For 1 week, they have to understand this is where they return to sleep, otherwise you may find them in a tree at sunset. It will also help when it comes time for them to start laying eggs. Just make sure you have the nesting boxes covered up until they are 4 months old or they will go in there and make a mess of the nesting boxes.

So you’re saying to put them just in coop for a few days first? To get them use to sleeping and living in there, then open up to run also?

Only do this if your weather is moderate enough to safely do so, and coop is sized appropriately for the number of birds. Do not lock them in if it's hot (like 85F+).

A week is probably a bit excessive (though I've done it myself) but even locking them in for a few days can help home them to the coop.

Hi everyone! It's almost time for the ladies to move out to their coop. They are about 7 weeks old, and the coop is just about ready, just need a few finishing touches. It is very predator-proof, and I've made sure we go above and beyond to make their home as nice as possible. HOWEVER, I've made some very, very friendly chickens (handle them a lot and they are more like lap dogs now than chickens!). I am very nervous and scared -- don't want them to be anxious or stressed -- any tips, tricks, ideas, or thoughts to help me (and them) get through the first couple of long nights after transitioning them to the coop outside?? Much appreciated!
First everyone gets freaked out about chick's first days/nights out in the coop im a very seasoned chicken owner and i still get freaked out second what i do is put them out in there coop during the day for a week or so but bring them back in at night then after that just leave them out trust me you are more freaked than they are

Honestly when I put mine out there I just let them do what they wanted and they figured out where to sleep on night #2. And it seems they've already been exposed to the coop so it's not totally new to them. Mine do not free range in the yard (yet) but have access to their run 24/7 but I've noticed they put themselves to bed about dusk. But this is my first time having chickens and im a newbie but other than some feather plucking (roosters) they seem to be doing really well and healthy birds.

Honestly when I put mine out there I just let them do what they wanted and they figured out where to sleep on night #2. And it seems they've already been exposed to the coop so it's not totally new to them. Mine do not free range in the yard (yet) but have access to their run 24/7 but I've noticed they put themselves to bed about dusk. But this is my first time having chickens and im a newbie but other than some feather plucking (roosters) they seem to be doing really well and healthy birds.
Thank you! Thinking this weekend will be their first night out there. I will lock them up in coop at night, and yes, they have all explored, and as we’ve been working on the coop, they have been hanging out with us and exploring! Do you leave a dim light on in there for the first night or just natural like from little window enough????

I have 40 birds and when they were that age is when I moved them outside also. I let them be in their run during the day and at night I’d manually put them in their coop. Took 3 days but they learned what to do. Day 4 I was happily surprised when I went out and they were walking in on their own.
I would go so far as to say you don’t have to lock them in the coop for a week and then give them the run for a week etc...
I’m sure they’d like to be outside playing.
Just my two cents.
In the end you’ll decide which option you like best and what will work for you and yours :)
No one here is wrong, we just all have different ways of skinning the same cat so to speak.

I have 40 birds and when they were that age is when I moved them outside also. I let them be in their run during the day and at night I’d manually put them in their coop. Took 3 days but they learned what to do. Day 4 I was happily surprised when I went out and they were walking in on their own.
I would go so far as to say you don’t have to lock them in the coop for a week and then give them the run for a week etc...
I’m sure they’d like to be outside playing.
Just my two cents.
In the end you’ll decide which option you like best and what will work for you and yours :)
No one here is wrong, we just all have different ways of skinning the same cat so to speak.
Perfect -- yes, and I'm sure it can vary from flock to flock and depending on weather and a million other things. Your thoughts on lighting in the coop? will the small window be enough fo them to see inside for the first few nights?

Back
Top Bottom