Help and advice needed for impacted/sour crop.

Gigi1983

Chirping
Apr 30, 2022
Hi guys,

I have a hen with what I suspect is an impacted crop which has soured. The crop feels almost like there is sand in it. It's squishy, I can feel some fibrous materials and the "sand" I'm feeling I think must be yesterday's mash. The whole problem area is about the size of half a lemon. She is eating and drinking but I've withheld food so far today so as to start treating it. I've given her liquid paraffin and a ten minute crop massage, which I'll repeat with olive oil or coconut oil at 30 minute intervals. I luckily have Nystatin liquid suspension which I think I should start her on also. My question is when to start her on the Nystatin? Is it ok to give her Nystatin in conjunction with impacted crop treatment? My hunch is some of it will drain with the massages but I'll be left with the 'soured' material in the crop which is going to need the anti-fungal. Hence why I'm thinking I should do the 2-in-1. Please advise. This is my 1st time dealing with a crop issue. She is very thin. I had another very sick lady I've been treating for the last 6 weeks and I took my eye off the ball with her 😓

Hi. I’ve never had to deal with sick chics. But I do know that Nystatin is a anti fungal and that fungi can easily invade feed and scratch. I’m a retired RN and prior chicken raiser. I’m learning so much from this site before I start again. Good luck.

Ok got her sorted. For anyone who needs help with this issue, this is what I did:

1)I put her on water and soft foods only (Greek yoghurt and scrambled eggs)

2)Syringed her with 5ml of liquid paraffin in the morning before eating while crop was "empty", or in this case at its least full. Left her for 30 minutes to ensure the LP infiltrated the crop and softened the contents and then massaged her for 10-20 minutes. (As the days go on and the impaction gets smaller you won't have to massage as long. This is just for the 1st couple of days depending on the size of the mass)

3) After this I would give her Greek yoghurt and an Allicin Max tablet (time released stabilised allicin, the healing compound in garlic) The reason I gave her the allicin and Greek yoghurt was in the event she also had a bit of sour crop going on, as this is often used to heal a yeast infection. Allicin is anti-fungal and anti-viral.

3) A small bit of scrambled egg at 1pm( 1/2 the egg) and the other half at 5pm. Don't over-feed as we don't want to exacerbate the problem.

4) More Greek yoghurt and an Allicin Max tablet before bed, so she won't have too much sitting in the crop overnight and it will empty out better.

This process took 4 days and I will keep her separated and on soft foods for another 3 days.
Note: Only use Allicin Max tablets if they are available in your area (British made product). Garlic can cause Heinz Anemia. This particular product in whatever way it's extracted doesn't cause this, but if you bought Allicin tablets from a local health store they may have other parts of the bulb that may cause an issue. So to be on the safe side use garlic water if you cannot get Allicin Max.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a hen with what I suspect is an impacted crop which has soured. The crop feels almost like there is sand in it. It's squishy, I can feel some fibrous materials and the "sand" I'm feeling I think must be yesterday's mash. The whole problem area is about the size of half a lemon. She is eating and drinking but I've withheld food so far today so as to start treating it. I've given her liquid paraffin and a ten minute crop massage, which I'll repeat with olive oil or coconut oil at 30 minute intervals. I luckily have Nystatin liquid suspension which I think I should start her on also. My question is when to start her on the Nystatin? Is it ok to give her Nystatin in conjunction with impacted crop treatment? My hunch is some of it will drain with the massages but I'll be left with the 'soured' material in the crop which is going to need the anti-fungal. Hence why I'm thinking I should do the 2-in-1. Please advise. This is my 1st time dealing with a crop issue. She is very thin. I had another very sick lady I've been treating for the last 6 weeks and I took my eye off the ball with her 😓
Crop issues are usually a symptom if something else ..such as worms, coccidia or illness.
How old is she and have you ever dewormed your flock?

It's best to feed a balanced diet to prevent issues. A balanced diet is a pelleted or crumbled poultry feed. Not daily extras/treats.

Crop issues are usually a symptom if something else ..such as worms, coccidia or illness.
How old is she and have you ever dewormed your flock?

It's best to feed a balanced diet to prevent issues. A balanced diet is a pelleted or crumbled poultry feed. Not daily extras/treats.
Yes I wormed her about a week ago. That was one of the 1st things I did. She is a 3 year old ex-batt. Which is the age when reproductive issues start with them, so let's hope there is nothing else going on. She is very bright and back to her usual self since her crop issue was fixed, so fingers crossed.

Hi guys,

I am dealing with the exact same thing to a T! Following... I mixed the Monistat with the coconut oil put it back into the refrigerator to harden and she eats it as a treat without hesitation so much easier than the olive oil. We started this treatment yesterday. She's been having watery stool with lime green kidney beans take pellets in it. She's eating yogurt and rooster booster, and a couple mealworms to get her to eat the yogurt better. Just having more difficulty getting her to drink. Hope your girl gets well soon

I am dealing with the exact same thing to a T! Following... I mixed the Monistat with the coconut oil put it back into the refrigerator to harden and she eats it as a treat without hesitation so much easier than the olive oil. We started this treatment yesterday. She's been having watery stool with lime green kidney beans take pellets in it. She's eating yogurt and rooster booster, and a couple mealworms to get her to eat the yogurt better. Just having more difficulty getting her to drink. Hope your girl gets well soon
My girl is fine now and back to her usual self, we managed to dissolve the blockage with liquid paraffin. How does her crop feel? Is it impacted or does it feel more squishy?

Still like a small water balloon filled with sand. She pooping small brown poop then lime green stringy, watery poop. Not drinking near as much. As a massager crop you can definitely smell the stench from her mouth

Back
Top Bottom