HELP any one here need to loose weight

I agree with turney; I find counting calories helps A LOT. It really makes you think before you eat something - "Do I really want to add this to my total?"

I take Metformin, too, for about 4 years now. It really helps control sugar cravings, which helps so much. I've lost 60lbs and I have about 20 more to go. I know sugar is my enemy, so when I want to lose weight I cut out all simple sugars from my diet, including white breads. I don't buy low-fat or reduced-cal anything because I think they taste terrible - I eat the normal foods I love, just count the calories and stay within my goal. If you make yourself more aware of what you're eating, you'll find yourself behaving.

I never used to excercise, but I seemed to plateau with this last 20lbs, so I started an excercise program. It does help me lose weight and it helps me lose inches, but I still hate to excercise. I'm like you, I like excercise to have a purpose. I cheerfully shoveled (by myself) over a ton of compost when I built my raised garden beds, but excercise - yuck! Still, it feels good to know I'm doing something healthy.

Quote:
Ditto. I read a study somewhere that on "low fat" and "reduced calorie" foods (esp. peanut butter, IIRC), people often ended up eating MORE calories of it. It's easy to think "oh, it's lo-cal, I'll have another scoop of ice cream" or whatever. I know I do it!

I lost over 100 pounds over a year and a half period and have kept it off for over a year now.

What worked for me may not work for anybody else but this is what I did:
My problem is portion control. I respond well to regimentation.
Monday through Friday I limited my caloric intake to 1000-1200 calories per day. Weekends we would eat out or cook at home and eat more but still tried to keep the intake moderate.

Weekday diet.

Breakfast- one package of peanut butter crackers, the square orange ones that come six to the pack.
Lunch - ham or turkey sandwich and one "lunch size" bag of chips. Buy the lunch size, don't buy big bags.
Dinner - Lean Cuisine frozen dinner and small portion of bread. They are better if reheated in the oven instead of the microwave and put it on a real plate.

Things like the lunch meat for my sandwich and the dinner roll was precisely calculated to not go over the alloted calories.

thumbsup.gif

perchie.girl :

Walking is double agony because I love it and it hurts. I have Arthritis or pain so bad it locks up my knees. I still try but I cant ignore the pain. I use a tall walking stick and walk with my goats if I have time. Part of my problem is I know what to do. Low carb works well for me, but I don't stay on it. I would love to get a whole food juicer/soup maker. The other problem is I am taking care of my 94 year old grandmother, and living in her house part time.

My emotional incentive these days is setting up my poultry house and getting my Guinea Keets into their new home. Something I can do on one leg and a walker... LOL. Even care for my horse and goats.

if you have access to a pool, swim.

When I was going through physical therapy and rehabilitation after my car wreck I was treated in a heated pool. It supports your weight and it is low impact. You will be surprised how quickly it strengthens your muscles and helps you loose weight without straining your joints.

also don't try to do too much at once. This includes diet change. unhealthy food is addictive. If you try and quite it cold turkey you won't win. Make small changes. But don't stop making the changes, keep moving forward.

One good trick is give yourself the normal serving of food you normally eat, then take away small portion of it, up to 1/4th. You won't miss it. and The calories saved add up. Also try and add a protein, fiber, and complex carb with every meal. That will keep you fuller longer and keep you satisfied.

Avoid frying, try baking. avoid simple carbs. Don't give them up completely or you will feel deprived. just lessen them in your diet little by little, then eventually you will no longer crave them.​

I know a lot of people count calories, but with diabetes... I count carbs.
If you allow yourself x about a carbs per day it should help.... just don't go carb free as your body can't handle it...

Why not spend the first week eating normal counting calories AND carbs... see what you get and then cut it by 1/4.... Similar to what someone else said about fixing your plate and then removing 1/4 of the food
smile.png

I will keep an eye on the thread and see what kind of input I can give.... as for now... I have 2 acres of yard (doesn't include the horse pasture) and I push mow... am about 1/4 of the way done and better get back out before it gets too hot.

Everyone have a great day and I will check in later this afternoon after I have this mess mowed down.. the only fun thing is the ducks sit and watch me....

perchie.girl :

I have 200 to lose and am overwhelmed. Bypass is out of the question for me. Done em all .... can give insight to some. need support for myself too. Poultry is keeping me here. Maybe we can help each other. I am open to PM and Email.

Deb - I was doing a search to see if anyone started a thread on weight loss. I'd like to get into running again. I was doing it about a year ago. I'd also like to lose a few lbs. 10 lbs would be a good goal for me.

How are you doing? Have you made progress?

My problem is that I like food too much. I do better on low carb diets as well. I plan on getting back into moving again....and cutting out most of the junk I eat!

I was reading that you had issues with your knees? Have you tried a walking stick in each hand?​

Quote:
Thanks, Lady
smile.png
I'm checking that thread out as I type. I may post on over there! .....still, I was concerned about the OP and I'd like to hear how she's doing! Maybe she'd like to join us over there?

Back
Top Bottom