HELP??Apple Cider in chicks water??????

BrazellDazell

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 20, 2011
Genoa
idunno.gif
Has anyone heard of this? I get my very first chicks on Thursday! I have been all over BYC and Youtube trying to absorb as much info as I can. I watched a million videos on setting up a brooder, a couple of them mentioned Apple Cider Vinegar in the water to balance PH. Has anyone tried this? Is it necessary? Help!!

No it's not necessary. All they need is chick feed and water, and a brooder with some warmth, which I'm sure you've already taken care of.

You can do a search and read the pros and cons of vinegar -- it is generally felt it needs to be organic apple cider vinegar (ACV) and you only use a little. There are a bunch of other things some people do, a little sugar in the water the first day, supplements, etc., etc., but none of it is necessary.

Take a deep breath, check your brooder temp before the chicks arrive, be sure they have a cooler spot to escape to -- and enjoy!

Quote:
x2
Just got 3 new chicks last week and have done nothing out of the ordinary. I thought about adding ACV or sugar to the water, but my first batch of chick did just fine without.

i use apple cider viniger and lemon juice. its an old wives tail viniger is a cure all cures everything to acid reflux to internal paricites, to keeps them from pecking on each other.
i noticed that it keeps the slim down inside the water so i dont have to wash it as much and lemon juice is an anti bacterial i use it it doesnt hurt them and i take that extra precotion to keep them healthy and happy.

Thank you so much! I'm so excited I am expecting 12 white crested blue polish, to be split with a friend of mine. Fingers crossed I'm so nervous!!

I use ACV to keep the water clean. Babies drink so little that I find it gets slimy on the inside of the jar, so 2 tsp ACV per gal water and Voila! No slime. I use it in most of my waterers, just not metal ones. Saves oodles of cleaning time.

Enjoy your new babies.

Back
Top Bottom