Help are we boys or girls??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mems_mk, Dec 29, 2011.

1. mems_mk

mems_mk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    hiya my mum gave my 2 yo daughter these 2 muscovys we have had them for about a month so they are around 6-8 weeks old. Im thinking maybe 2 drakelets but I dont know.

[​IMG]

2. Wulfandwyn

Wulfandwyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    Hard to say. Im no expert but they are cute.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    I'd vote drake for the back one. However, I've only had one scovy

4. gingit

gingit Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2011
    South Florida
    Easy to detect a male from female ducks: The female is noisy, the male whistles.

5. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i would say 2 drakes.....the white one has thick stubby legs (females get thinner more feminine looking legs) and as both the black and white are of nearly thesame size...id bet both drakes (a hen would be smaller)

6. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    go peek !

it'll wash off....

7. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Quote:Thats not always true in Muscovy. I have allot of them and can't tell by voice what they are.

The ducks in the photo are at an awkward teenage stage and its really hard to tell with out seeing them in person. Just like most animals even people they go though a stage where their legs grow first. I have posted a photo of a hen with big legs to show this as an example.
    The below is a hen and from the front her legs look like a hen, but in this photo they look like a Drake. As she grows, she will grow into her legs. I have vent sexed her so I know its a hen.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Another one of my teenage girls with big legs

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Thats not always true in Muscovy. I have allot of them and can't tell by voice what they are.

The ducks in the photo are at an awkward teenage stage and its really hard to tell with out seeing them in person. Just like most animals even people they go though a stage where their legs grow first. I have posted a photo of a hen with big legs to show this as an example.
    The below is a hen and from the front her legs look like a hen, but in this photo they look like a Drake. As she grows, she will grow into her legs. I have vent sexed her so I know its a hen.

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/3825/mystic850.jpg

I was thinking the same thing. I have a girl 3 1/2 months old, and she is very quiet.

Other breeds yes, but not scovies. They also don't have the tail curl either.

9. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    Ya, I can pick up my baby Cayuga and buffs and just hold them and they are very vocal and you know right away from "quacking" them, but Muscovy, you either learn to vent sex or wait.

10. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Or compare them by size. That's how I got my girl [​IMG] She was so much smaller than the drakes born with her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by