Help Asap: Shrink-Wrapped Chick!!!! Help!!!

Keep it warm... either mist with warm water... or use your finger to dampen the membrane... do not pull the shell off...

I'm no expert, but, try to up the humidity first. In desperation I have lightly misted chicks with warmish water, and if that didnt help, I very gently, with blunt tweezers, peeled tiny bits off till it was free. Alot ofpeople will say dont help, its a matter of opinion, ya gotta do what you think is right.

Do a search for 'shrink wrapped chicks'- lots of info!

I had this happen with my last hatch. Stay calm!! I on the other hand freaked!! LOL.. I took a warm wash cloth and placed the egg in it and wrapped it for about 10 sec so that the membrain could moisin. Then with tweezers I carfully pulled the membrain away from him a little at a time. With wrapping him every now and then to keep moisture. This worked for me. Also if he starts to bleed a little more than usual then stop and put him back in the bator for a little bit, then start over. Hope things go ok!!
thumbsup.gif

I hatched the last of the serama eggs myself last night. This poor baby was shrinkwrapped because the broody hens hatched 3 babies and this one was a day behind. Those little heffers left that egg to get cold! I brought it in, put it in my bator and learned after a few hours that it was shrinkwrapped because the hens had left it.

Hold the chick in a warm/moist paper towel or wash clothe.
With your other hand, peel tiny pieces from the egg, leaving the membrane intact.
If you see veins in the membrane that are somewhat thick, leave the egg partially wrapped in your damp clothe and put it back in the bator. The chick has to finish absorbing all of the blood.

Try again in about an hour. Of course, if you don't see any blood veins, continue, moistening the membrane and the egg as you slowly peel the chick free.

DO NOT pull the chick out of the bottom of the shell. It may still be attached by the navel. This is where the blood from the veins are going. Just peel down to the last third of the shell and let the chick it'self do the kicking out.

Good luck!

This may be a really dumb question...but,
How do you know they are shrink wrapped?
Do you remove some of the shell so you can tell?
I have a group hatching today and I'm a bit worried about the bator being too dry inside. I've sprayed a bit of water on the walls to up the humidity.

Quote:
The membrain will look a little dry and start to turn a brownish color. The shell will be cracking and breaking off but the membrain won't be doing much. At least that's the experience that I've had.

I've helped many shrink-wrapped chicks (though I'm by no means an expert
lol.png
). This is how I do it...

With the tweezers, I "zip" the shell for him. I also tear the membrane all along the zip, except for about a quarter of it (assuming that it's still moist enough for the chick to tear it*). Then, I put it back in the bator (being very quick while opening the bator of course). About an hour later, when I check it again, it's hatched the rest of the way. One VERY important thing I've found, is the chick needs to push and struggle. If it's too easy, then he will be a weak chick, usually dieing within a day or two. So, while I'm working on him, I do it rather slowly, and every half minute or so, scratch the shell, which makes him push.

*If the membrane is dry all the way around, then I go ahead and take the top half of the shell off. After checking that he's not stuck to the bottom part of the shell with dried membrane, I put him either in the bator, or in the brooder in his own little "pen." Do NOT remove the bottom part of the shell, just leave that to him.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom