Help! Assisted hatch error

BellaLulaFarm

Songster
12 Years
Mar 19, 2010
Please advise! Despite a forced air incubator, 99.5 degrees, 45% humidity until day 17, then 65% humidity, I only got 3 out of 17 eggs, and the first two had to be assisted out of their stuck on membranes after unzipping for several hours without completion. Both are doing well. A third egg pipped on day number 24, and I thought it was unzipping although it might have just been bigger pipping, but stopped there. I started to assist it, but then got bloody membrane so left it be. Now 36 hours after pip, it is still just hanging out in its shell, one leg out, will kick when the other chicks jostle it, opens its eye when I turn on the light and occasionally peeps softly but doesn't seem to be making any attempt to get out. I'm worried about opening up the rest of its shell if it's still absorbing the yolk sac. Should I take off a little bit more of the shell, or let it be until morning? I did turn the humidity in the incubator up to 68% yesterday. Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200330_201543.jpg
    IMG_20200330_201543.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 11
Oh, it looks ready to come out! That's good, he'll be so much better off outside of the shell. It may take it a few extra days to find its feet though. I would take out the other chicks when you help the stuck one out. Then can you candle the others and see what's going on? If there are no other external pips it won't hurt them any. Is your thermometer calibrated?

Back
Top Bottom