Help Assisting a Malpositioned duckling please.

At this point, I would proceed to remove some of the shell over the air cell, only where the inner membrane is not attached to the outer membrane. This will expose more of the inner membrane so you can check for more prominent veins. I also like to take a q-tip moistened with coconut oil or Vaseline, and run it under the membrane around the ducklings head, bill, and eyes. This will help prevent the membrane from sticking to the face.
Then as the veins fade, you can Gradually open the inner membrane to allow the duckling to push out. Just be sure to let it push out on its own.
View attachment 2727181
He/she is up the small end of the egg, opposite end to the air cell. Should I still peel away from the air cell , or do you mean peel the air cell and run the oil under the membrane around the hole . Sorry its been a long day of worrying, for my first duck hatching this one's really testing me, never thought I'd spend so much time staring at an egg😅

He/she is up the small end of the egg, opposite end to the air cell. Should I still peel away from the air cell , or do you mean peel the air cell and run the oil under the membrane around the hole . Sorry its been a long day of worrying, for my first duck hatching this one's really testing me, never thought I'd spend so much time staring at an egg😅

I’m so sorry, I didn’t notice it was in the opposite end!
No need to remove anything around the air cell, if it’s backwards… my bad!.
You could try chipping a little shell around the current opening, try to just prick the shell off, and leave the membrane. Then moisten it and check for veins.
The duckling will eventually start to struggle and get more vocal and want out. If you want to wait longer, the struggling will be your cue to help if it can’t wiggle out on its own.

Do you think it's safe to go to bed for a few hours(if I set my alarm for say 3 hours time what are the chances hel still be ok) 😅 I was going to attempt to break away some shell but the adoptive siblings don't seem to want to leave him alone

Attachments

• IMG_20210620_225049.jpg
    IMG_20210620_225049.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210620_225259.jpg
    IMG_20210620_225259.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 8
Do you think it's safe to go to bed for a few hours(if I set my alarm for say 3 hours time what are the chances hel still be ok) 😅 I was going to attempt to break away some shell but the adoptive siblings don't seem to want to leave him alone

I think you’re safe. Get some rest.

Little update for you when I came down at 5. 30am thus morning he had made no progress still, by 7.30 he was making abit of a fuss and looked like he had some how managed to swing his leg out the way, I watched patiently (maybe not so patiently 😅) and by 8.30 he was here 😊 we thought he was from our Indian runner duck pair but I'm wondering if daddy's been naughty and run of with one of our muscovy girls as he doesn't look much like his older brother 😅 what do you think? Thankyou for all your help and support through my panic 😊❤️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210621_110924.jpg
    Screenshot_20210621_110924.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom