Help Baby chick acting funny

sasc

Chirping
Apr 22, 2017
Okay im lost at what i should do. Saturday my husband and i went to tractor supply bought 14 baby chicks to add to our flock. Less than 24hrs we lost one not sure what happened he couldn't keep his head up, couldn't eat, drink etc depite my best efforts to give them vitamins etc. They have bedding, a heat lamp water etc. He would occasionally chirp, lift his head than lay back down within a few hrs he died.
The rest of the chicks were fine. Than this morning i noticed a female chick laying on her side occasionally she opens her eyes, lifts her head and chirps than lays back down. Im trying vitamins/ water in a dropper, making sure she's warm and i tried and have been trying wetting her food and placing it in the dropper.
Im wondering what's going on. What i can do to help if anything. She's breathing so far but tired. Any ideas and suggestions would be great. Thanks.
Oh and she's separated from the other chicks.

Can you describe your brooder setup? Have you checked them for pasty butt?
I have a bin with shavings from tractor supply the heat lamp is on one side other side no heat lamp so those that get to hot have a place to go there's their feeders and water. I have checked for pasty butt and 3 did have it i cleaned those ones up warmed them up and put it back.

Attachments

• 20180312_163126.jpg
    20180312_163126.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 14
This is how she's lying. She's breathing occasionally she opens her eyes and chirps.i have a thermometer hanging in the broader so it doesn't get too hot/cold

Attachments

• 20180312_163604.jpg
    20180312_163604.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 15
I purchased it from tractor supply.
Where you purchased it doesn't mean much but I would hope that a tractor supply wouldn't sell you a teflon coated lamp for chicks. Your lamp doesn't look teflon coated. They use it to prevent shattering and it is toxic to chickens. I just learned that recently on another thread. We use momma hens so I have never had to deal with heat lamps, but I was shocked to learn about the problem. The fumes from the teflon can kill chickens.

Where you purchased it doesn't mean much but I would hope that a tractor supply wouldn't sell you a teflon coated lamp for chicks. Your lamp doesn't look teflon coated. They use it to prevent shattering and it is toxic to chickens. I just learned that recently on another thread. We use momma hens so I have never had to deal with heat lamps, but I was shocked to learn about the problem. The fumes from the teflon can kill chickens.
That's def good to know. Thanks for letting me know.

Do you know what the temperature right under the heat lamp is? It sounds like you're doing everything right, so it might just be that she's weak :( Sometimes that happens and there's nothing that can be done.

Any sign of blood in their droppings or anything like that?

No blood in the droppings that i can see. Temp is 90-92.
Is there diseases that they could have gotten from where they came from that tractor supply might not know of?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom