help!! baby chick got out of the coupe away from momma

pcosmom

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
I went to let the chickens out this morning and 2 of momma bantems chicks had gotten out of the coupe..
I was running around chirping the other was laying near the door. He is cold and weak..I have him in my lap in a warm towel but I'm really worried.

We lost one yesterday to unknown reasons I don't want to loose another..

I went to let the chickens out this morning and 2 of momma bantems chicks had gotten out of the coupe..
I was running around chirping the other was laying near the door. He is cold and weak..I have him in my lap in a warm towel but I'm really worried.
We lost one yesterday to unknown reasons I don't want to loose another..

One of the many reasons I incubate everything. or take babies away from momma and raise them in a brooder box of some sorts. Chicks. especially those with game and bantam blood have a very low mortality rate. If you want to keep them alive and away from stray cats coons foxes coyotes hawks owls snakes and everything else out there. You will put a light in a box and feed them starter/grower too. Besides brooder box raised chicks grow faster and stronger them momma raised chicks every time. Try this put half of them in a brooder box and look at whats left in the yard in 3 weeks compared to what is in the brooder box. and you too will never let another hen raise another chick.

Baby is warm now and eating some chick/starter grower and drank some sugar water. How long should I wait to give him back to momma? Keeping him in the house is not safe with 2 2yr olds, 2 kittens and a puppy..

Should I keep him in the rest of the day and put him back when they go in for the evening?

Baby is warm now and eating some chick/starter grower and drank some sugar water. How long should I wait to give him back to momma? Keeping him in the house is not safe with 2 2yr olds, 2 kittens and a puppy..
Should I keep him in the rest of the day and put him back when they go in for the evening?

personally I'd say 6 to 8 more weeks along with the rest of them. I still think they would have a better survival rate then out there with momma at this time of year ( especially if you put a screen over them ).The kittens and the puppy are easy to train just pop their nose when you introduce them to each other. the two year olds can be more difficult. ALL my cats have always been in the house with the chicks when I hatch them and I have never yet had a mortality problem. I have had a whole hatch of chicks I had to sell because the cat would sleep with them and wanted to follow him when he went out " tom-ing "
But let your conscience be your guide there.
Foxes, neibourhood cats, dogs,hawks, owls, racoons, oppossiums, coyote and more other critters then I can name would love to catch one out of the coop or close to the side of the coop.
( hawks and owls are notorious for calling them up to the wire and jerking their heads off ).

I don't think my baby is going to make it :(..It was doing great yesterday out with momma. Last night when I went to the coupe to check on them and put them all to bed, momma and the other 5 had jumped flown up to one of the nesting boxes and he is smaller and was left on the floor. I brought him in for the night put him under the light and he was chirpy but doing good. He was quite this morning when I left to take the kids to school but when I got back he was weak and barely standing he tries to chirp but nothing comes out and he can't even stand up..He is on my chest with a warm towel that I keep rotating but I'm pretty sure I am loosing him. It makes me think he would have been better off with his momma and siblings last night..I just want to cry...

he is gone :( he just didn't have any fight left in him..he died in my hands, atleast I know he wasn't alone..

Back
Top Bottom