Beaten Baby Chick by Momma Hen

Poor chicks. :(

Never ever let this hen hatch chicks again. Some just don't switch from brooding and protection mode to caring for the chicks. They kill them as if they were rats or mice.

I would cull the chick to help it out of its misery.

Last edited:
A staggered hatch is when you have eggs under a broody hen that are "different ages", so they don't hatch within the same timeframe (21-23days).

If you have a broody hen and wish for her to hatch fertilized eggs, it's best to collect eggs for several days and mark them. Put them all under her at once. Check daily and remove any eggs that are not marked so you don't end up with a staggard hatch.
Yup, that's what has been happening. That is what I have noticed, so that is what it is called. Thank you for the explanation!

Never ever let this hen hatch chicks again. Some just don't switch from brooding and protection mode to caring for the chicks. They kill them as if they were rats or mice.

I hope this never ever happens again. I was shocked when I found it with no beak (almost breakless). I don't know how I can differentiate this hen so this never happens again. Because this isn't the 1st chick that has been brutally beaten. It is probably the 3rd one.

I hope this never ever happens again. I was shocked when I found it with no beak (almost breakless). I don't know how I can differentiate this hen so this never happens again. Because this isn't the 1st chick that has been brutally beaten. It is probably the 3rd one.
If she looks the same as your other chickens you can put some food coloring (or Blu Kote) on her feathers so you can tell her apart. That will work temporarily until you can get a leg band.

If you want to keep hatching, you could always sell or cull this hen because she won’t help with that goal.

Yes, that is exactly what I thought. I never want this demon hen to hatch chicks of it's own. I got so angry when I saw the poor little thing. Sadly the chick died around 7:23 pm today. I am sad but glad it is no longer feeling pain. I just truly hope this doesn't happen again. Do hens do this frequently to their own chicks?

I wasn't expecting this from a broody hen. I only saw the bright side of it, where Broody hens protected their chicks. I have learned that this isn't always the case.

If she looks the same as your other chickens you can put some food coloring (or Blu Kote) on her feathers so you can tell her apart. That will work temporarily until you can get a leg band.

If you want to keep hatching, you could always sell or cull this hen because she won’t help with that goal.
Thank you for the recommendation. I will take this advice, because clearly this hen wouldn't do any good. All it did was cause harm. I appreciate the concern of all you trying to help. Thank you

Yes, that is exactly what I thought. I never want this demon hen to hatch chicks of it's own. I got so angry when I saw the poor little thing. Sadly the chick died around 7:23 pm today. I am sad but glad it is no longer feeling pain. I just truly hope this doesn't happen again. Do hens do this frequently to their own chicks?

I wasn't expecting this from a broody hen. I only saw the bright side of it, where Broody hens protected their chicks. I have learned that this isn't always the case.
I'm sorry about the chick :hugs

Some hens are just not good mothers unfortunately.
Does it happen frequently? I'd say no, but it does happen, and you just don't know how well a hen will do with chicks until you give it go.

Having a proven broody - a hen that is a good setter, takes care of her chicks, etc. is valuable, especially if you plan on raising chicks. Not necessarily valuable dollar wise, but for her qualities - she's a "keeper!".

If she's a productive hen, you could keep her for eggs, but I would put a band on her leg. A zip tie works, just check it regularly to make sure it's not getting too tight. I would not let her brood anymore eggs.

Culling is an option, that's for sure - culling can mean sell/give away or even process for food - take your pick.

I'm sorry about the chick :hugs

Some hens are just not good mothers unfortunately.
Does it happen frequently? I'd say no, but it does happen, and you just don't know how well a hen will do with chicks until you give it go.

Having a proven broody - a hen that is a good setter, takes care of her chicks, etc. is valuable, especially if you plan on raising chicks. Not necessarily valuable dollar wise, but for her qualities - she's a "keeper!".

If she's a productive hen, you could keep her for eggs, but I would put a band on her leg. A zip tie works, just check it regularly to make sure it's not getting too tight. I would not let her brood anymore eggs.

Culling is an option, that's for sure - culling can mean sell/give away or even process for food - take your pick.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. It's pretty rough for a hen murdering it's own babies. She was a red flag in the beginning and I didn't even do anything about it.

What would the band on her leg be for?

Thank you, I really appreciate it. It's pretty rough for a hen murdering it's own babies. She was a red flag in the beginning and I didn't even do anything about it.

What would the band on her leg be for?

I don't know how I can differentiate this hen so this never happens again.
You had mentioned you didn't know how to differentiate her, so I assumed she must look like a few of the other hens? Banding her would let you I.D. her at a glance, so if she starts to try to sit on another batch of eggs, you could break her broodiness.

Back
Top Bottom