HELP!!!!! Baby chick is dying

Sara Monty

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 3, 2014
Georgia
One of my ameraucana chicks is extremely lethargic and won't eat. I can make her drink some water but I am very worried about her :( PLEASE help! Does anybody know what I can do?! I am trying to feed her eggs but she won't eat :(:( She seems to be panting a little bit but I've adjusted the temperature and it doesn't change. The other chicks are happy. I have no idea what is wrong. She seems to not have much strength. I am so worried that she will die, what is it and what can I do?

Mash some egg up, and a a small amount of water with it, you can add some baby food to the mix if you wish. But you don't have to if there is none on hand. Then put it in an sanitized eye dropper, and gently pick up the chick with one hand and hold it gently and carefully put your fingers on the side of its beak and very carefully squeeze, this will make the chick open its beak and slowly squirt a serving into its mouth every time you think its hungry, I would say no more than two times in a day. I kept a baby bird alive doing this, so it should work. I have fed my other chickens and given them medicine using the same technique. Let me know how it works out!

:( I had an Ameracauna do the exact same thing. I thought coccidiosis and treated for it to no avail. Try sugar water or Pedialyte.
Sometimes they're just little sicklings. It's heart breaking. I'm sorry you have to deal with this.. It's not easy wondering what to do for the little thing. All you can do is your best for her! :'(

Thank you so much for the help guys. I thought she would probably pass during the night but she is still holding on. :( I am so heartbroken and have no idea what to do, she seems worse, not standing up when I pick her up, not eating, only drinks with a dropper and even that is getting more difficult. She will peep occasionally, but it seems like she is in distress. I was up most of the night trying everything I could. Eggs, sugar water, yogurt. I just don't know what to do.

Her poop is clear and she isn't getting up. She is extremely lethargic & won't eat. I have separated her from the other chicks but I am scared that they will get sick just like she did. WHAT DO I DO!? Has anybody seen this before? I did not vaccinate and I do not give them medicated feed. I would love to know what you guys so that is natural to treat these types of things. Should I put probiotics in the water for the other chicks? I gave them ground up steel-cut oats with grit and some scrambled eggs yesterday & today their poop smells horrible, is that normal? AHHH, I was so happy to get them & now I'm scared that they will all die because I can't help :(:(

Another ting you could try is soak some food in the water your giving her so she can get some nutrients. . Not necessarily feed the food to her but make the water have dissolved food in.it...... sorry about your chick I don't know what it could be :( good luck tho all you can do is try so your doing the right thing :)

Last edited:
I appreciate your help. It means so much. It's hard having no idea how to help her when I can tell she doesn't feel good.. She is taking the yogurt sugar water and chick starter mash from a dropper. She will occasionally throw some of it up.

How much should I feed her??

I am going to keep on giving her everything I can to help
sad.png
If anybody has suggestion PLEASE SHARE. I will try anything to get baby Shiloh back in good health!!

Back
Top Bottom