Help Baby Chick Problem!

Ah, in that case I guess you don't have to worry about warmth. Unfortunately probably a wait-and-see game now - to see if the chick is mature enough to survive and recover. Are there other eggs that still need to hatch?
There are other eggs but they are all Australorp eggs and I think that my bantam roo didn't do his job well. None of the other eggs are furtle.

Candled them all, nothing. The chick hatched today. This one chick bis happened twice in a row, the last clutch was only one Australorp/Silver Duckwing chick.
How old is your rooster? If he's very young or very old, he may not be fertile. Do you know how to check for the bulls-eye in a fresh egg, to make sure they're getting fertilized? If your rooster is still a youngster, he may just need time to mature. If not, you may need a new roo. You could also give Momma some fertile eggs from elsewhere, next go-round.
Good Luck!

EDIT to ADD - If Papa is a bantam and Momma is an Australorp, it's quite possible that he simply can't reach. 'Lorps have all those fuzzy tail feathers, so your little rooster may have a hard time making his ... ummm ... presence(?) known!

Last edited:
I decided to give him back to the mom and she was gentle. It's be a few hours.
Something doesn't look right though. It's been a few hours and he is really weak.
View attachment 2350776
New babies sleep a lot, so that may be what you're seeing. That little one put in some really hard work over the past few days! Banties often hatch at 20 days, instead of 21, and are considerably smaller than standard fowl chicks. Your little one doesn't look super small or premature to me (I raise Nankins - really tiny bantams) What type of bantam (or cross) is it ... other than really, really cute?

New babies sleep a lot, so that may be what you're seeing. That little one put in some really hard work over the past few days! Banties often hatch at 20 days, instead of 21, and are considerably smaller than standard fowl chicks. Your little one doesn't look super small or premature to me (I raise Nankins - really tiny bantams) What type of bantam (or cross) is it ... other than really, really cute?
The chick is a golden laced sebright/silver duckwing. The chick has some older siblings that look like this. They are 4 months old.
20200924_170142.jpg

20200924_170431.jpg

I'm not going to bet that she will look similar when the chick grows up though because the chick look so vastly different compared to when they were chicks.

How old is your rooster? If he's very young or very old, he may not be fertile. Do you know how to check for the bulls-eye in a fresh egg, to make sure they're getting fertilized? If your rooster is still a youngster, he may just need time to mature. If not, you may need a new roo. You could also give Momma some fertile eggs from elsewhere, next go-round.
Good Luck!

EDIT to ADD - If Papa is a bantam and Momma is an Australorp, it's quite possible that he simply can't reach. 'Lorps have all those fuzzy tail feathers, so your little rooster may have a hard time making his ... ummm ... presence(?) known!
He is deffently furtle. We have 7 chicks. One is a Australorp mix. He does struggle to reach... the target though. He is over 1 years old and has been getting better though.

Back
Top Bottom