HELP! Baby chick with LEG PROBLEM...broken???

Try searching splayed legs. You can try to tape the two legs together with a bandaid to see if you can "set" them. It can only be done within the first few days and they may or not get fixed.

I'm really uncertain about what to do. I have a chicken NICU (neo-natal intensive chicken unit) set up for two others that are weak, but Gimpy seems just fine, other than the bum leg. She's getting to food and water without a problem on her own, and she seems to be holding her own with the rest of the lot. No one is picking or pecking on her...she's just kind of stumbly. She seems to be gaining weight just fine...much better then my NICU babies.

I know if I try to splint the leg, I should do it soon. I am more concerned about her being in pain. Could it be sprained? It was a bit swollen when she was first born. I used emu oil on it for pain and swelling....the swelling has gone down.

Any ideas....besides culling? She has become sort of a favourite...

Splint it the best you can. I would try to get SpeckledHens advice, or someone else with a lot of experience. I am hoping the best for the chick. The chick should be able to live if it can eat and drink and all that on it's own. Hmmm... another special bird.

My little chick is still hopping around. I have made her a chair from an egg carton. I was messing with her too much this morning trying out the chair, but I am going to hobble her legs tonight. She was getting way too tired.
Are you going to do anything for yours? I think it will work for both of ours!

Quote:
Please follow silkiechicken's advice. You only have the first few days to set this right. Their legs mend very quickly if you act quickly.

Back
Top Bottom