HELP! Baby Chick!

Scottyhorse

Chirping
7 Years
Oct 26, 2012
Eastern Wa
Hello, our silkie hatched 7 chicks a couple days ago. One egg she stepped on, so I brought in inside in the bator. I am pretty sure it hatched prematurely though. Anyways, I had to help it out of the egg a bit because it was stuck.

Tonight, it'll be 48 hours old. It can't walk right. Its toes don't bend, and I think it has straddle leg? I'm not sure though. We have been doing physical therapy with him, by stretching his legs. So far, he has been able to stand and walk a bit, and right himself up most of the time when he tips over without our help. We think he is a silkie Cochin bantam cross, so his legs are very tiny, and it's too hard to make a splint.

He sleeps a lot, and if he can see me, he'll call. He is beginning to peck at food, and we make sure he drinks plenty of water.

What else can we do? We really want him to live!!
sad.png

I posted a link to your post in the Silkie thread. I have never had this sort of issue but considering how many people over there breed their own there has got to be someone who has had similar issues.

I would start him on some electrolytes. I would also set up a chick chair to try to fix the spraddle legs. It's better to catch them ASAP because it can be very hard to treat it,

I would start him on some electrolytes. I would also set up a chick chair to try to fix the spraddle legs. It's better to catch them ASAP because it can be very hard to treat it, 

What should I do for electrolytes? Could I give him some gatorade? If I can, how much per day?
What exatly is a chick chair? I'll look it up.

Thanks!!!!:D

I have never heard of using gatoraid but you probably can. Usually people use the vitamin / electrolyte packets you can pick up at feed stores.
Okay, We live in a small town, but I will check the feed store. Right now I tied his legs together with pipe cleaners, and I have him in a little cup so he can stand/lean against the side. He hates it, and is trying to jump out, which I guess with streanghten his legs..... I would hold the cup but I want him in the brooder.

So I just took off the pipe cleaner and changed it to vet wrap. He is now back in the cup in the brooder.

Last edited:
You never want to help a baby chick out of it's egg even if it looks stuck. That's probably the problem. It has similar outcome of premature birth.

Back
Top Bottom