HELP! Baby chicks and worms!

ponchiepeeps

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Southeastern Louisiana
4 inch or so. It was thin and kind of a mucky greenish color. I used a toothpick and put it in a little container and went straight to the feed and seed and they said they had never seen anything like it from baby chicks. I asked if it could have come from the food but he didn't think so. He said maybe it was an insect larvae that hatched but that seemed even more unlikely to me. So... my question is this... has anyone ever found internal parasites in their baby chicks about 3 or 4 days old

I agree that it's highly unusual for chicks to have worms so early. How old are they & where did you get them?

Did the worms move & are you sure they're worms?

Your best bet is to take a fecal sample to a vet to get a test done. That will determine what kind of parasite it is so that you can treat it with the right med the first time, avoiding trial & error.

Sounds like an uncoiled poo. If it got in the water in would break down and the solid parts would separate and float on top, I've seen lots of bird poo look like that.

Check the feed. Not uncommon for bugs to be in it, so why not worms, or wormy looking things, larvae of some sort.

I would not treat for worms unless a vet told me from a fecal test that they were present and what kind and what worm med they needed.

what do I treat them with? what is the 2tbs. of apple cider viniger and garlic for is that suppose to help with the worms. Please don't laugh I really don't know anything this is my first time!!!!
hmm.png

big red chicken - we don't laugh at newbie questions! No worries!! I was a newbie last June. I'm not even sure if I'd held a baby chick before I got my own, lol.

Some people use ACV & garlic to treat for worms. Try the search feature in the blue bar at the top of any page to find info on that. I recently gave my outside flock (2 standards & a banty) wazine to treat for a roundworm infestation but I alreayd knew that the roundworms were present.

If your girls don't show signs of worms, I wouldn't worm them until you've had a vet do a fecal test to see if there are worms present. It's better to treat for the worms you have than to give them wormer meds & hope that you gave them the right ones.

Back
Top Bottom