HELP! Baby chicks and worms!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ponchiepeeps, Apr 3, 2009.

1. ponchiepeeps

ponchiepeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2008
    Southeastern Louisiana
    [​IMG]

2. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Considering chicks dont start eating till they are around 2-3 days old I dont see how they could have got worms so quickly.

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    I agree that it's highly unusual for chicks to have worms so early. How old are they & where did you get them?

Did the worms move & are you sure they're worms?

Your best bet is to take a fecal sample to a vet to get a test done. That will determine what kind of parasite it is so that you can treat it with the right med the first time, avoiding trial & error.

4. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Sounds like an uncoiled poo. If it got in the water in would break down and the solid parts would separate and float on top, I've seen lots of bird poo look like that.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Check the feed. Not uncommon for bugs to be in it, so why not worms, or wormy looking things, larvae of some sort.

I would not treat for worms unless a vet told me from a fecal test that they were present and what kind and what worm med they needed.

6. big red chicken

big red chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    I was intrested in the answer to the question. Being I call TSC ask about treating my 12 wks chickens for worms and they was telling me I didn't have to is that true???????????

7. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Quote:12 weeks is generally considered too early to treat. Most don't treat until 6 months or so.

8. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    what do I treat them with? what is the 2tbs. of apple cider viniger and garlic for is that suppose to help with the worms. Please don't laugh I really don't know anything this is my first time!!!![​IMG]

9. JennsPeeps

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    big red chicken - we don't laugh at newbie questions! No worries!! I was a newbie last June. I'm not even sure if I'd held a baby chick before I got my own, lol.

Some people use ACV & garlic to treat for worms. Try the search feature in the blue bar at the top of any page to find info on that. I recently gave my outside flock (2 standards & a banty) wazine to treat for a roundworm infestation but I alreayd knew that the roundworms were present.

If your girls don't show signs of worms, I wouldn't worm them until you've had a vet do a fecal test to see if there are worms present. It's better to treat for the worms you have than to give them wormer meds & hope that you gave them the right ones.

10. big red chicken

Mar 18, 2009
    Greenville NC
    Thank you so much for the information very helpfull!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by