help! baby ducklings in danger

samducklover

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Iowa
i had four ducklings of an unknown age (storebought from orchlens 2 weeks ago) that were practically drowned by a neighbor kid who was not given permission to be in coop. one of them was dead when i found them. another was limp but breathing. and the other two were shivering but not lifeless or limp. they were only left alone for three hours in their brooder type area in a shed turned coop. the child had moved them all and proceeded to do who knows what with them. i quick got them dried off and wrapped them each in a fresh-out-of-the-dryer towel. the two who weren't in as bad of shape stopped shivering so much when they were dried off. i placed them in a dry box under a heat lamp in the house with some blankets with vitamin water and some feed. i got the water out of the other one and kept him in my hands in the warmth for over 2 hours. he fluffed back up, has been keeping his head up on his own. is walking, and after about 30 minutes in the box with the others, he began to drink some water. after another 30 minutes, began eating. they seem ookay but I am still nervous that they aren't in the clear yet. anyone know how long till I can breathe easy

They probably need rest from their near death experience with Neighbor Kid. If they are eating and drinking, that's a great sign! Keep them warm and comfy and they seem like they're going to be fine. Maybe move them inside away from Neighbor Kid.

You did a fantastic job with your rescue/revitalization of them. Keep up the good work! :)

And breathe easy until they give you a reason to worry. They seem okay.

And I'm sorry about your loss of the one...
1f614.png

rest in peace to the yellow one looking at the camera (we called him/her Mavis because that's what my grandmothers beloved duck she had for 17 years was named. now her and the duck are both gone. )

i actually don't have any idea of their age or what type of ducks any of them are. i am fairly new to this, and don't even know what all different types of ducks any of them could be. i hope that doesn't make me seem like a fool for going out on a whim and adopting something i know so little about. have always adored ducks and this is the first time our local farm store has gotten them so got a book on caring for and properly raising ducklings. Though the store employees were all clueless and very unprofessional about the species of duck, age, and gender. read up on the vitamins, the need for constant access to water and food, make sure they always always have water with food, and the type of feed to get (NEVER MEDICATED), how long to allow them to have (supervised) swim time and keeping them warm (especially after swim time), what type of brooder to have them in and when they need to be moved to something bigger, proper outdoor housing and making sure they have a safe enclosure for night time predators. so i may be naive to some things, but i am learning. any idea when it will be safe to allow the swim time again? i am so traumatized and feel as though they must be too.

i actually don't have any idea of their age or what type of ducks any of them are. i am fairly new to this, and don't even know what all different types of ducks any of them could be. i hope that doesn't make me seem like a fool for going out on a whim and adopting something i know so little about. have always adored ducks and this is the first time our local farm store has gotten them so got a book on caring for and properly raising ducklings. Though the store employees were all clueless and very unprofessional about the species of duck, age, and gender. read up on the vitamins, the need for constant access to water and food, make sure they always always have water with food, and the type of feed to get (NEVER MEDICATED), how long to allow them to have (supervised) swim time and keeping them warm (especially after swim time), what type of brooder to have them in and when they need to be moved to something bigger, proper outdoor housing and making sure they have a safe enclosure for night time predators. so i may be naive to some things, but i am learning. any idea when it will be safe to allow the swim time again? i am so traumatized and feel as though they must be too.

Well I don't think you're naive at all. No one knows everything! The wrong thing to do would be to get something you know little about and NOT do the research!

Your black duckies are Cayuga and the other two I haven't decided... haha

You can let them swim whenever you're ready. Just no running water when they are in the tub. :)

Back
Top Bottom