help! baby ducklings in danger

samducklover

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2017
Iowa
i had four ducklings of an unknown age (storebought from orchlens 2 weeks ago) that were practically drowned by a neighbor kid who was not given permission to be in coop. one of them was dead when i found them. another was limp but breathing. and the other two were shivering but not lifeless or limp. they were only left alone for three hours in their brooder type area in a shed turned coop. the child had moved them all and proceeded to do who knows what with them. i quick got them dried off and wrapped them each in a fresh-out-of-the-dryer towel. the two who weren't in as bad of shape stopped shivering so much when they were dried off. i placed them in a dry box under a heat lamp in the house with some blankets with vitamin water and some feed. i got the water out of the other one and kept him in my hands in the warmth for over 2 hours. he fluffed back up, has been keeping his head up on his own. is walking, and after about 30 minutes in the box with the others, he began to drink some water. after another 30 minutes, began eating. they seem ookay but I am still nervous that they aren't in the clear yet. anyone know how long till I can breathe easy

this is not the first time that this same kid has- one: trespassed on my property. and two: harmed something belonging to me. his parents have been told civilly multiple times too please make sure to keep him out of my home/sheds/garage/etc and it never fails that they shrug it off and allow it to continue. however this time i let them know that if he trespasses again, I am pressing charges. also, had cameras installed today so there will be no denying it.

this is the one I brought back from being lifeless and barely breathing. I'm his favorite duck.. even though I'm really not a duck lol

Last edited:
he is eight. it doesn't seem too old to me. it was like a nightmare. i seriously felt traumatized walking into something so heartbreaking and unexpected. seeing my babies laying in the water, shivering, two of them were limp and lifeless, (thank god I was able to save one of the two) was horrifying.

I read through the whole thread. You did a fantastic job even if you still lost one. :( The three are just absolutely adorable. You have way more patience than me or a kinder heart...."he'll hath no fury" comes to mind when I think about how I would have reacted. I detest parents that allow kids to run wild....what kind of adults will they be? :( sad all around...

That kid needs a serious wake up call, before he spends his entire life doing nothing good, all the while harming others. Terrible he is hurting innocent animals!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom