Help! Baby pigeon not hatching!

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
Please ANSWER!
So I have a pair of West of Englands and their babies were suppose to hatch today and yesterday. The first baby hatched no problem, but the second baby has not hatched yet.
A day before yesterday I saw the first egg was hatching (there was a little crack) and then it hatched the next morning (yesterday) so I checked the other baby yesterday too and there was a tiny crack and I didn't hear him tapping (the day before I DID hear him) and today there was no progress and I didn't hear him tapping or moving at all!
Should I try to help him or what? I did try to take a chip of and got a little so but not enough to see anything. I worried!

I have to say I probably don't know as much about raising chicks from eggs as many others, so don't just take my word for it. ut a few years ago we raised chicks from eggs and they each hatched independently from each other. They were meant to hatch on their own so I would leave them to it for now, but if you continue to see problems then I would ask someone who has more experience. Again please ask someone besides me because I'm sure they know a lot more than me.

A day before yesterday I saw the first egg was hatching (there was a little crack) and then it hatched the next morning (yesterday) so I checked the other baby yesterday too and there was a tiny crack and I didn't hear him tapping (the day before I DID hear him) and today there was no progress and I didn't hear him tapping or moving at all!
Should I try to help him or what? I did try to take a chip of and got a little so but not enough to see anything. I worried!
Have I help pigeon hatch from an egg YES.
Is it risky some what.
If you are too aggressive and try to take him entirely out of this shell you run risk of pulling the membrane off of the squabs body to quick and cause the squab to bleed to death.
With that in mind I would say help him.

Have I help pigeon hatch from an egg YES.
Is it risky some what.
If you are too aggressive and try to take him entirely out of this shell you run risk of pulling the membrane off of the squabs body to quick and cause the squab to bleed to death.
With that in mind I would say help him.
How do I help him? I know that you have to do it very slowly and carefully, but I'm very very very nervous!

My advice would be to make sure the egg is in the warmth, then stabilize the egg with one hand while very gently picking small pieces off the already made hole. If you here tapping let them do the rest but I would be worried in your situation too :( I'll look something up that maybe can help you

Thanks ChickyChickGirl! Did you just join? I noticed that you only have 29 posts. I didn't join that long ago either!
Hope I can save the baby pigeon.

I take it they are being brooded by the parents? if so I would just leave them to it, it may or may not make it but if it has it's parents with it they may help a bit so it's best not to stress them by interfering especially if you are nervous, you may find it just hatches just fine.

Back
Top Bottom