HELP! Badly pecked/defeathered chicken

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
We had a bad rooster...he would attack the hens-not smooth at all. Well, we took care of him tonight, he will now be roasted and hopefully enjoyed tomorrow. ANYWAY-the reason we went ahead with this is because we found one of our hens today very badly defeathered and pecked. She doesn't seem sick, just very cold and soooo many of her feathers are lost. Our temperatures are in the 20s for highs and the cold is really getting to them, all of them. How long do we keep her in? Her feathers won't come back until she molts, right? Please help!

Make sure she has a lot of protein to keep her self warm and to produce beautiful new feathers. Scrambled egg, bits of left over meat etc. Scratch added to her diet will help keep her warm at night. So sorry she is in this situation but it sound like you care for her and I'm sure she will get better every day.

I agree, keep her full of protein to keep her warm. Scratch is a good supplement. You may also want to invest in a saddle to help with protection/warmth even though the roo is supper
smile.png

Last edited:
We thought about culling her too-but I really don't think she is sick-just cold! So I think I will put some blu-kote on her-she doesn't really have wounds but it might deter and give her lots of protein-and the others too- for a few days and let her regain her strength. Maybe filling the others up will let them leave her alone-especially since the dingbat rooster is gone now!

Back
Top Bottom