soapyspangles

Hatching
Aug 6, 2020
Hiya! I have 4 boy coturnix quails, they grew up together but have to live alone due to either attempts at mating or aggression. I'm not sure which one!!

I have one bird in particular, called Arnie. He's especially friendly and loves any kind of human attention, but I have a problem. He's bald!

The (ex) feathers on his chest seem to look broken, as if they've been ripped off. Could he be plucking?

He has things to climb on, millet sprays to peck at, insects to catch, places to dig and dust bathe and is regularly given attention from myself.

I'll give you his diet and what he eats on a daily basis in order to help troubleshoot, because I am so unsure!

He eats:

Riga Farm Chick and Quail Mix
Millet
Heygates Layers Mash
Chick crumb
Mealworms - both dried and live
Mixed salad leaves such as spinach, cress and kale.

Is this an adequate diet for a quail?? Is there anything else I need to add?

His brothers seem to have better feathers than he does though, which is why I'm so confused.

I will admit though, his chest has gotten better since I last took a picture of it, which I'll show below. As well as this, new pins seem to be coming through. I just want some advice as I don't want him to be suffering.

Before pic, took 15/07/2020:

20200715_202317.jpg

After pic, took 06/08/2020:

20200806_214057.jpg

He doesn't appear to be sluggish or listless and is quite active! He's actually quite cheeky.

He's nearing a year old in October, which is why I'm a bit disappointed that his chest is the way it is.

Here's a picture of his brother to compare chest feathers:

20200806_220211.jpg

His feathers are much better however I'm not sure I'm satisfied.

Sorry for the long ramble, but any advice on what I can do?? Would be much appreciated!!

Was he in a damp environment at all? I've seen young birds go bald on the chest after they spilled their water and sat in the damp shavings for a while.

I'm not sure of the protein content of his food, but it looks like it might be a bit low in protein.

Was he in a damp environment at all? I've seen young birds go bald on the chest after they spilled their water and sat in the damp shavings for a while.

I'm not sure of the protein content of his food, but it looks like it might be a bit low in protein.

He did have a water bowl which was recently replaced with a drinker because he would often stand in his water bowl and get it everywhere! So that may have been the problem, thanks for the reply!

Back
Top Bottom