HELP! Beginner with peachicks!!

Little Roughian

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 8, 2012
I need help! I hatched 3 eggs for a gentleman who apparently wanted the peachicks for his grandkids to play with. (they already harrass the little chickens) But when he the peachicks werent cuddly and ran from the kids he basically forgot them. I have no clue how to raise the little squirts other than the little bits I could find online. Sheldon, Penny, and Leonard (sexes undetermined) are 4 wks old and seem to be thriving. The have game bird starter to eat, a nice warm heat lamp, and fresh water to throw bedding in as they please. They live with Howard and Amaretto who were their personal trainers and now playmates. This is as far as online info has taken me. Any info on raising these guys would be great. What and when to change feed... snacks they may like... housing changes... what to expect... sexing... anything! I also have 4 eggs sitting in the incubator due soon as Mrs. Pea decided she wanted more and of course the man wanted them hatched. (these might be friendlier... crazy man)
Please help!

Hello!
A good place to start for a range of basic information is the stickies; they are at the top of the Peacock forum (see below).
If your questions don't get answered there, the experts here are sure to help you out.
Good luck with the chicks!

"Sticky" Threads for the "Peafowl" forum:

Welcome. These people help a lot. Some have different opinions, just read, ask and you'll have a load of fun with them. I'd put my foot down with that fellow though, unless you have plenty of room for the peas after they are hatched. On changing bedding, my suggestion when it smells it needs changed. I changed mine to regular feed about 4 weeks, I'm not sure if that was proper but they are thriving.

So far I see to be doing ok, we've made it this far. I don't want to let the little guys down as it was decided they were going to live. As for this gentleman, he won't have any more chicks as long as I'm around. I feel bad for Mrs. pea as she does a great job watching over her eggs, but the litle ones won't have space when they grow so sadly her eggs will be removed.
Everyone here has been super helpful. Hopefully tonight I can post some pictures and read some feeds to keep these guys growing up like good proper peas!

welcome-byc.gif

If you handle them daily from the time they hatch, they will tame down & bond with you. Mine love all kinds of melon, apples, oatmeal, any kind of pasta (cooked), bread as treats -- for regular rations, my young ones are on gamebird starter & the adults are on gamebird flight conditioner crumble - they were on laying pellets also during the breeding season. They also get oats & scratch grains occasionally.

Oh boy! I'm sure they'd love some little treats of than their starter. I just wasn't sure how big they should be before I gave them different things! I'm a nervous mom!! They are very social and happy chirpers with me. They do not like my bf very much and scamper and shriek at him if he tries to give them fresh water and food. I've never delt with young fowl before so I find them highly entertaining.

I need help! I hatched 3 eggs for a gentleman who apparently wanted the peachicks for his grandkids to play with. (they already harrass the little chickens) But when he the peachicks werent cuddly and ran from the kids he basically forgot them. I have no clue how to raise the little squirts other than the little bits I could find online. Sheldon, Penny, and Leonard (sexes undetermined) are 4 wks old and seem to be thriving. The have game bird starter to eat, a nice warm heat lamp, and fresh water to throw bedding in as they please. They live with Howard and Amaretto who were their personal trainers and now playmates. This is as far as online info has taken me. Any info on raising these guys would be great. What and when to change feed... snacks they may like... housing changes... what to expect... sexing... anything! I also have 4 eggs sitting in the incubator due soon as Mrs. Pea decided she wanted more and of course the man wanted them hatched. (these might be friendlier... crazy man)
Please help!
Why no Howard or Raje ?

Howard, Raje, and Bernadette are chicks I hatched to be trainers!! However Raje and Bernadette were a day behind the rest so Howard and Amaretto took over the duties!

Back
Top Bottom