Help! Bird Not Eating

Soph_quail

Chirping
Jun 27, 2020
We have recently noticed that one of our females has become quite skinny (you can feel her breast bone) and is puffing up a lot more than the others in the cold weather. However she will not take food if you put it in front of her. She’s behaving normally and is only about 6 months old so I’m really not sure what the problem is. Any ideas? Thanks.

I had a chick (4-5 weeks old) do this. She was all bones and slept all the time, so I separated her. If the poop is green, they haven't eaten in a while, so watch out for that.

When it got really bad I got a syringe and put crushed food and water in it and forced her to eat little bites by placing some of the thick mixture in her mouth. It was a messy job because she would fling some out, but some food got in and that's all I needed. After a week or so, she began eating on her own again and was released back in the flock.

I found that dropping some of the food on the back of her beak opening made her open it and eat. Make sure if you do this that you don't get any water/wet food up their nostrils.

I have no idea what caused this, but she did pull through. Is your bird stressed in any new way? This happened to me a few weeks after a new introduction to the flock. Good luck with your quail!

I had a chick (4-5 weeks old) do this. She was all bones and slept all the time, so I separated her. If the poop is green, they haven't eaten in a while, so watch out for that.

When it got really bad I got a syringe and put crushed food and water in it and forced her to eat little bites by placing some of the thick mixture in her mouth. It was a messy job because she would fling some out, but some food got in and that's all I needed. After a week or so, she began eating on her own again and was released back in the flock.

I found that dropping some of the food on the back of her beak opening made her open it and eat. Make sure if you do this that you don't get any water/wet food up their nostrils.

I have no idea what caused this, but she did pull through. Is your bird stressed in any new way? This happened to me a few weeks after a new introduction to the flock. Good luck with your quail!
They all seem rather stressed out recently were unsure why though. The flock that lives closest to them has been having some issues because one of them decided to sit on her eggs and got very aggressive so we think this has spooked them. However, this has only been the last week and she seems too skinny for this to be something that new. Thanks for your advice!

I had one who was very puffed up in one of the pens. She and the others were about 6.5 to 7 weeks. Several of the birds in her hatch were blind. I picked her up and she was all bones, so I offered her food and she didn’t eat it. She was banded to identify her as a blind one so I suspected she just wasn’t able to regularly find the food, even though the other blind ones were nice and fat. I brought her in and put her with my albinos and now she is normal, even bordering on fat after a week and a half. It’s amazing. I gave her a drop of nutridrench, showed her the bowl and waterer and she literally ate as fast as her crop emptied, for a day and a half.

If she's not eating, that's not behaving normally. I would recommend bringing her in where you can keep a close eye on her and see just what she is or is not eating and see how much she's pooping and what it looks like. If you have pictures of her and your setup, it would be helpful.
We have her inside now. But she’s very puffed up as you can see. Outside we keep them in a rabbit type hutch with an indoor and outdoor section
78F7A616-ED56-4409-9D6F-E14D4A0F20E0.png
A36FD09A-C49F-4A80-A938-28A8BF3F6204.png

It’s hard to tell in photos, but if she’s squinting a lot, you should offer her sugar water with a dropper or small straw, squinting can be a sign of dehydration.

also my bird who had a similar issue is nearly identical to yours maybe a bit more yellowy.

It’s hard to tell in photos, but if she’s squinting a lot, you should offer her sugar water with a dropper or small straw, squinting can be a sign of dehydration.

also my bird who had a similar issue is nearly identical to yours maybe a bit more yellowy.
Okay will do thank you! And that’s interesting! Up until this point she has been really healthy and strong. I’m not sure what’s changed.

We gave her some sugar water and she took a good amount and is now eating! Will keep an eye on her but looks promising!

Back
Top Bottom