Help! Bloody looking egg shaped object protruding from my hen

blb4

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 18, 2014

This, whatever it is, is stuck to my hens backside. It looked like a broken egg at fist as she has dried yellowish/white stuff on her feathers, but the closer I got the more it looked like an egg stuck inside something and it all came out. It's red and possibly veiny. She won't let me get close to her. What is it and what do I do?!? She looks like she's trying to push it out, but it's just stuck there :(

Some kids were chasing my hens yesterday. Idk if this had something to do with it. Ugh

That's a prolapse. You need to separate her ASAP and begin treatment. At least your other chooks aren't eating her insides. Yet, anyway. Hopefully they won't.

How you begin treatment depends on what you feel is the best course of treatment, lots of info on this forum about it.

The kids may well have caused this, they could have accidentally flopped on her trying to catch her, or interrupted her while laying and caused this. Definitely worth giving your chooks better child safety, lol. If this was a prolapse that occurred under external force it may not be treatable; it could be a 'vet job'. It may be her egg laying tract or her bowels that have prolapsed.

Best wishes.

Than
That's a prolapse. You need to separate her ASAP and begin treatment. At least your other chooks aren't eating her insides. Yet, anyway. Hopefully they won't.

How you begin treatment depends on what you feel is the best course of treatment, lots of info on this forum about it.

The kids may well have caused this, they could have accidentally flopped on her trying to catch her, or interrupted her while laying and caused this. Definitely worth giving your chooks better child safety, lol. If this was a prolapse that occurred under external force it may not be treatable; it could be a 'vet job'. It may be her egg laying tract or her bowels that have prolapsed.

Best wishes.

Thanks. Unfortunately we had to cull her :( I'm so sad about it. I couldn't find the opening to get the egg out, but found tears in her that yolk and poop were seeping out of. We just didn't want her to suffer. Guess that's part of it, but doesn't make it any easier. Our hens are definitely more pet than farm animal.

So very sorry that she had to be culled...you did right by her..she would likely have had further issues which would end up with her being in awful pain and ultimately her demise...she is at peace now...

Suzie
hugs.gif

This, whatever it is, is stuck to my hens backside. It looked like a broken egg at fist as she has dried yellowish/white stuff on her feathers, but the closer I got the more it looked like an egg stuck inside something and it all came out. It's red and possibly veiny. She won't let me get close to her. What is it and what do I do?!? She looks like she's trying to push it out, but it's just stuck there :(

Some kids were chasing my hens yesterday. Idk if this had something to do with it. Ugh

Back
Top Bottom